Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a new set of Pilot Powers installed yesterday, am going to pick the bike up in a few hours. It's not the first time I've hade new Rubber put on a bike, but just curious, how many miles or heat cycles etc, before I can ride hard on the tires? As I understand it, the new tires have some sort of treatment that initially makes them a bit slick untill they get scrbbed in a bit?.......Opinions wanted

·
Registered
248 Posts
The main thing is to gradually increase lean angle, so you don't have to rely on the unscrubbed portion sticking to the road all by itself.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Just take it really easy for 50 miles. Smooth inputs for acceleration, braking, and turning.

...and check the air pressure before you get on it, the dealership may not have it set where you want it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i'd give it 70 miles...i just got the pilots on my 954 and i ride hard...they were pretty slippery for 50-80 miles...be responsible and you will be ok.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i've always heard 2-3 heat cycles and your good to go, but all the other advise sounds like it would work. i like the sound of gradually increasing the lean angle, and being responsible. CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE BEFORE YOU RIDE...

·
Registered
998 Posts
I dont think theres any specific amount miles/heat cycles that you need to do... If you have a nice twisty piece of road handy, Id say half a dozen corners either direction leaning a little further each time until you reach the edge and they should be good to go :D

If your really pedantic you could clean your tires with prepsol or brake clean, but I dont really thinks it neccassary...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback, I think I've got them pretty much scrubbed in now, after about 50 miles. I took a nice twisty road, Hwy 21 out of Boise, and took it easy in the corners, trying to get a little more lean each time. The only time I noticed the slickness, was when I cracked the throttle on a straightaway. I was expecting the Blade to stand up, as it normally would, but as the front started coming up, the back tire spun and dropped the front quickly:nono: decided to hold off on the hooliganism until I'm sure the tires are up to snuff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check the air pressure. The dealer had 43 psi in the rear of my then brand new 919 when I picked it up. It was 35f degrees. Bad combo.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Or put the bike on its stands, start it up and put it in 2nd gear and hold course sandpaper against the rear tire to rough it up. The front tire is more difficult as you have to laboriously sand it by hand a piece at a time. But you can confidently ride it after that knowing there is no slick tire surface to worry about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts