Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gonna get Power Pilots installed soon on 08 Blade and was wondering how do you go about scrubbing the tires? I think you just find a empty parking lot and go in circles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You need to get the tires hot to remove the thin coating that is a result of the manufacturing process. Once you have heated them up then start some medium speed turns. Once you have completed a heat cycle or two with some turns you should be OK. You are going to love these tires.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I gonna get Power Pilots installed soon on 08 Blade and was wondering how do you go about scrubbing the tires? I think you just find a empty parking lot and go in circles.
Just ride like you normally ride. As long as ur not acting like an idiot ull be OK.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I think you just find a empty parking lot and go in circles.
I'm not sure this idea would generate the heat required but it probably wouldn't do any harm. How did you scrub in the tyres you have on it now?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just rode the bike, no extra effort to scrub the tires. The reason I am asking for the proper way is because I have read a few times people have scrubbed there tires after they put a new set on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SKATER! I love the bike crash video:rotfl: I would just be so pissed and it's on video, I'm glad he had his leathers on! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Go on a 50 mile run. All the tyre needs is heat. You dont have to 'scrub' the edges to get the wax off. I also just put on pp 2ct's. Great choice

·
Registered
24 Posts
...All the tyre needs is heat. You dont have to 'scrub' the edges...
That is correct. While popular wisdom says "scrubbing" or "scuffing" the tire surface is necessary before full grip is available, that is wrong.

Also the common recommendation that residual mold release agent makes tires slippery is wrong. Tire manufacturers no longer use mold release agents on the tire tread portion.

And the common practice of weaving the bike the warm up tires is wrong. That does little to warm them up.

The truth is a new tire delivers essentially full grip as soon as it's within the operating temperature range. No break in procedure is needed.

All this is discussed by Pirelli's racing manager in this Sport Rider article: How To Properly Warm Up Your Tires - Sport Rider Magazine

So why did the guy in the previous video crash? Several possible reasons:

(1) The tires look shiny; it's possible someone mistakenly used Armor All or similar treatment on them.

(2) If the tires were recently changed (possible even on a new bike), the mounting lubricant can get on the tire surface.

(3) The parking lot surface could have had oil or anti-freeze on it.

My friend crashed in a gentle curve at about 5 mph because a wreck the previous day spilled ethylene glycol coolant on the road. He had fairly new Dunlop Qualifiers, but said it was like hitting ice. Ethylene glycol coolant can't easily be cleaned up, which is why it's not allowed on the race track.

Still it makes sense to take it easy when new tires are mounted. But not because the tires need "scrubbing in".

Rather, they probably feel different, so best to get accustomed to them gradually. Also the technician might have left residual mounting lubricant on them. Parking lots and areas adjacent to car washes often have slippery regions from engine coolant, oil, and flung-off tire dressing.

The best way to get tires prepped for a curve is a few hard acceleration and braking runs. That causes sidewall flex which heats up the tire. Frictional forces (weaving the bike) don't heat up the tire much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just had a set of Michelin Power One streets fitted to my '08 bike, finally getting shot of the frankly terrible OE Dunlops......I've ridden for best part of 18 years, and these things are unbelievable!! I know they were a touch more £'s, but WELL worth it in my opinion. Should've done it sooner!

My point - dont bother with the Pilot Powers, go for these babies!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just had a set of Michelin Power One streets fitted to my '08 bike, finally getting shot of the frankly terrible OE Dunlops......I've ridden for best part of 18 years, and these things are unbelievable!! I know they were a touch more £'s, but WELL worth it in my opinion. Should've done it sooner!

As soon as mine wear out in another 1500km's I'm getting a set. They aren't even legal yet for the Fireblade in Germany. But I don't care.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Like someone stated earlier, just go on a nice ride and not do anything stupid. The only time I ever hear the term "scrubbing tires" is at the race track.

·
Registered
172 Posts
every new set i get i wipe down w/ brake cleaner to get the slick off. haven't had any problems yet. then "scrub" them in on the track. after 4 laps to get them warm they're good to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
6 weeks ago I had new pirelli corsas on my blade went out first time under very little throttle n rolled off, nearly ready to try again bike is fine and I am getting there, any tips anyone

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
6 weeks ago I had new pirelli corsas on my blade went out first time under very little throttle n rolled off, nearly ready to try again bike is fine and I am getting there, any tips anyone

Are you trying to say that you crashed?

·
Registered
927 Posts

I thought the OR tires were bridgestones? And for the cost of the power ones, check out some Q2 by dunlop. They're a pretty hot affordable street tire.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just got a set of Power 3's installed last week. I didn't scrub them or anything, I just took it easy for about 100 kms or so. I've put about 500-600 kms on now and they grip very good. Got it leaned over almost to the edge on a few turns yesterday and it was good......found out I should probably get my suspension setup, and possibly a dampner, but no tire slipage whatsoever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts