Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not scuba steve

Anybody here SCUBA certified? If so what organization and what was the total cost for becoming certified?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
went thru padi about 4 years ago. It was 175 for basic open water diver course. Plus I had to buy books (around 60 bucks), my own snorkel, fins, mask, and pay another 150 for a dive weekend in Gloucester, MA to get certified. If you can swim you can pass this class and scuba diving is wicked awesome!

Only bad thing, I spend around 3k for my gear but I had to get top of the line everything and a dry suit. You can get a nice setup for around 1k including everything you'll need.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
LA Divers certified in 1967 (with 3 re-certs since). Ocean only and back then it cost around 400 bucks. It's been several years since my last dive, as I broke an eardrum during an emergency ascent and it took me about 3 years to be able to even get in an airplane again.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
doesn't it hurt popping your eardrum. One of the most painful things I've ever had. After the 3rd time it stops huritng so much and now I can equalize pressure going up or down without even thinking. Only the first time it popped was while diving, the other 2 happened while wakeboarding, I should wear a helmet damnit!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
abtech : LA Divers certified in 1967 (with 3 re-certs since).  Ocean only and back then it cost around 400 bucks.  It's been several years since my last dive, as I broke an eardrum during an emergency ascent and it took me about 3 years to be able to even get in an airplane again.
what did you say?

I have seen a molar smash in another guys head doing that

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
2k2954 : doesn't it hurt popping your eardrum.  One of the most painful things I've ever had.  After the 3rd time it stops huritng so much and now I can equalize pressure going up or down without even thinking.  Only the first time it popped was while diving, the other 2 happened while wakeboarding, I should wear a helmet damnit!
Yeh, I am pretty decent at equalizing as well, but I was unconscious at the time so I didn't get it quite right . . .

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i feel a little better on the price. there are 2 shops local to here - NAUI and PADI. Both cost the same 225 or 500 for private, but the NAUI includes the equipment for the class and 5 dives, the PADI does not. I have to pay for the dive, the O2 and admission into the dive park.

I am doing this for my key west excursions

I am probalbly going to have to do the private since I can not string 2 weeks at home together.

Anybody in the nJ area wanna give me private scuba certification? Pete, not you as my muff is shaven

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Public Safety Diver/Search and Rescue Diver thru Dive Rescue International.

There is nothing more fun, Bubba. You'll have a blast. Just remember to breathe normal and relax...you'll do just fine.

Oh yeah... PADI= Pay Another Dollar Incorporated

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
NAUI open water 2 cert. 13 year now. I dont know if its the same now as then, but back then, NAUI was the more 'prestigious' or 'upscale' orgination to get trained through. PADI sorta had a rep as the quick/fast/dirty training for any yahoo on vacation at Club Med could get a cert from. I have no idea if anythings changed, and this was only my experiences in California and Hawaii 10 years ago. Reguardless, either training is adiquate, saftey is up to you.

mike

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
I've been both NAUI and PADI certified for 30 years.  They both offer good instructional programs...PADI is probably more recognized today though.  Either one should be fine so pick the program that best fits your budget and schedule.

You're going to love diving.  Try to get to the Carribean some day for the dive of a lifetime.  

·
Registered
690 Posts
I am a Padi diver.... have my open water, advanced diver, rescue diver, and dive master.... in total I have about 1000 dollars invested, did all my training at the Marine Biology Lab in Key Largo.

My wife is Naui, and some dive sites give Naui divers a hard time, but I would do which one is cheaper and you like best.

DEPO

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
would it be easier to do it up here or wait until I get to the keys and look for a 1 day thingy?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts