Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m currently on the hunt for a seat-cowl for my RR8, in Pearl White.

Anybody used any of the companies advertising them (seen them on ebay from a company called ABS), or would you fork out for the OE item from Honda ?

Any comments welcome, please :thumb:

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Whats the price difference between the eBay one and the OEM one?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the OEM ones are about £150, painted, and the ABS ones on ebay are coming in at a £100 less.

Okay, I know the old adage in "you get what you pay for" etc........but I just wondered if anyone has actually bought one of the copies, and if it was any good at all ?

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Hmmm. Not bought one myself so can't really comment but wouldn't the OEM ones be made out of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene?

I take it the ABS one is actually made from Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene as well? Couldn't you always increase the strength by adding some fiberglass etc?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm. Not bought one myself so can't really comment but wouldn't the OEM ones be made out of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene?

I take it the ABS one is actually made from Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene as well? Couldn't you always increase the strength by adding some fiberglass etc?

Right, straight cough here..........! :O

I read the advert on ebay, maybe too quickly or something (that`s my get-out clause :D ), and thought that the aftermarket cowls were made by a company called ABS........oh what a tool I am !!

Anyway, now you`ve put me straight, I`ve re-read it, and it is actually made from ABS plastic..........

Oh well, you learn something new every day, as I didn`t even know of anything like the technical term of "Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene". Such is life.........:(

Anyway, thanks for the info there, and I`ll let you know if I decide to get it............cheers. :thumb:

·
Registered
20,979 Posts

I always knew that ABS was a type of hardened plastic type of stuff that could be moulded into any shape before it set etc, but i never knew what it meant:eek: I'm impressed Mr Twin:thumb:*

*note to self, the force is strong with this one, he may be one of the Sith Lords:eek::rotfl:

·
Registered
20,979 Posts

I read the advert on ebay, maybe too quickly or something (that`s my get-out clause :D ), and thought that the aftermarket cowls were made by a company called ABS........oh what a tool I am !!

Anyway, now you`ve put me straight, I`ve re-read it, and it is actually made from ABS plastic..........

Oh well, you learn something new every day, as I didn`t even know of anything like the technical term of "Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene". Such is life.........:(

Anyway, thanks for the info there, and I`ll let you know if I decide to get it............cheers. :thumb:
At least you had the balls to to be accounted for you mistake. REP !:thumb:

·
Registered
7,366 Posts

:rolleyes: Don't worry, it happens to most of us :rotfl:

Have you got the item number of the tail? (might be able to ask him how thick it is) I'm wondering whether the aftermarket one will be strong enough (I used to have one on a Ninja, god knows what it was made of but it was damn strong - had my son on it a few times :D)

At least you had the balls to to be accounted for you mistake. REP !:thumb:
:plus1:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I`m currently on the hunt for a seat-cowl for my RR8, in Pearl White.

Anybody used any of the companies advertising them (seen them on ebay from a company called ABS), or would you fork out for the OE item from Honda ?

Any comments welcome, please :thumb:
hello!

this may be your lucky day, my mate had a Pearl White RR8 and he dropped it while we were touring France/Italy in the summer.
because we had luggage on the rear (which actually caused the accident) he had his rear seat on and his original Honda seat cowl was sitting in the garage at home.
insurance has taken the bike away, but he still has the seat cowl, I'm going over to his place for lunch tomorrow and I'll ask him if he want to sell it on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hello!

this may be your lucky day, my mate had a Pearl White RR8 and he dropped it while we were touring France/Italy in the summer.
because we had luggage on the rear (which actually caused the accident) he had his rear seat on and his original Honda seat cowl was sitting in the garage at home.
insurance has taken the bike away, but he still has the seat cowl, I'm going over to his place for lunch tomorrow and I'll ask him if he want to sell it on.

Excellent mate, thanks very much for that ! :thumb:

Couple of questions please: Is it OEM, and is it unmarked.........if yes to both, please find out a price for it and we`ll take it from there.

Again, many thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
hello!

he had his rear seat on and his original Honda seat cowl was sitting in the garage at home.
Excellent mate, thanks very much for that ! :thumb:

Couple of questions please: Is it OEM, and is it unmarked.........if yes to both, please find out a price for it and we`ll take it from there.

Again, many thanks.
the cowl wasnt on the bike when it went down the seat was, and yes Origanal honda OEM.

I'll let you know later..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the cowl wasnt on the bike when it went down the seat was, and yes Origanal honda OEM.

I'll let you know later..

Fk; sorry mate, you DID make it clear enough in your first post that the cowl wasn`t actually on the bike at the time, but I just wondered if it could have become marked in any other way at all.

My fault bud, mis-communication on my part........:O

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey encee,

spoke to my mate today, and he is still waiting to hear form his insurance whether they going to write it off or repair it.

if they repair, he'll keep it, but if the write it off it will be surplus to requirement.

he is hoping for an answer some time this week, I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey encee,

spoke to my mate today, and he is still waiting to hear form his insurance whether they going to write it off or repair it.

if they repair, he'll keep it, but if the write it off it will be surplus to requirement.

he is hoping for an answer some time this week, I'll keep you posted!
Excellent mate, many thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hello mate,

you still looking for the seat cowl?

my mate found out today they have written his bike off, so he may be looking to sell some bits, depending on what he buys now of course!

Yes mate, still looking. Let me know what he`s asking for it when you get chance, thanks very much bud. :thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts