Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to get it? I found some job openings I very well qualify for, but do not have security clearance. How is such a thing achieved for a civilian?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
If the job is open to the public and you don't have clearance, they will do the background check to get it for you.

Pretty sure. The problem is that if it comes down to you and another person that already has the clearance, it saves them time and $$ to hire the other person.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
join the military - you get one for free

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heavy-Dee : If the job is open to the public and you don't have clearance, they will do the background check to get it for you.  

Pretty sure.  The problem is that if it comes down to you and another person that already has the clearance, it saves them time and $$ to hire the other person.
Hmm....thanks HD, gonna have to ask them about this

Quote join the military - you get one for free

I'm not cut out for that. If I was straight out of high school I probably would, but not anymore

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
like HD said, a company has to 'sponsor' you... Thats about the only way...

Better have a squeaky clean record...

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ccwilli3 : like HD said, a company has to 'sponsor' you...  Thats about the only way...

Better have a squeaky clean record...
Other then a couple driving infractions I got nothing so I think I'm covered. I'll get in contact with the company. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
if it is a simple background investigation you should be up in running in no time, simple credit and felony check. If it is something you need higher, some secret, secret squirrel thing be prepared for about a yr delay...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yeah, my cousin's getting out of the military soon, and his clearance is really helping him with jobs. In this shitty IT market he has multiple offers.

I'm pretty sure there are ways you can get yourself a clearance, but it would cost big bucks, and depending on the clearance required, it can take a long time.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
They tell us a it can cost upwards to 100k plus, need the big tickets punched anywhere from 10-30k per ticket depending if they have a baseline already or have to go from scratch...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Mojave954 : if it is a simple background investigation you should be up in running in no time, simple credit and felony check.  If it is something you need higher, some secret, secret squirrel thing be prepared for about a yr delay...
This is true, it usually takes 6 months to a year. After you get the clearance, you still need to get program access. This can take another week or more. You better not have any drug convictions or have joined any subversive groups. They will even quiz you heavily if you are an NRA member, but it is not a show stopper. Good luck.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Government security clearances are submitted by the hiring agency so you can't do it yourself.  If you look at the Office of Personnel Management website you can download the PDF version of the SF86 worksheet to give you an idea of what the questions are.

Link to SF 86

1 - 12 of 12 Posts