Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking to set the sag on my 954 which has standard suspension.

From looking around at several guides I am a bit confused on the method for doing this. I understand how to take the measurements and carry out the adjustments but the big question I have is do you measure the sag with just the bikes own weight on the suspension, or do you do it with the rider on there aswell?

Some methods say with and some without but both give similar target sag settings. I always thought you need the rider on there as surely their weight has to be taken into account?

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Everyone I've talked to about this (including one of the guys who owns a GMD Computrack) says to set it with the rider IN FULL GEAR.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Bladerider - That's what I would have thought as it takes into account the riders own weight and weight of clothing, accessories etc but I've seen several guides saying to measure it with only the bikes self weight.

Anyone else got any thoughts or advice on this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
you want to mesure the bike with no rider first to get your start point, then with rider and look at the difference

Make your adjustments to get desired sag

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
You'll need the help of some friends to hold the bike up and measure while you're on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Measure both. Without the rider is often referred to as the static sag. With the rider is referred to as dynamic sag. You really need both measurements in order to work out whether the spring rates in your suspension are suitable for your weight. There are articles elsewhere on this and other forums that describe what and how to measure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So when I see figures of 30-35mm Front and 25-30mm Rear sag is this static sag or dynamic sag? I've just got the 954 and although it feels ok I would like to start trying different setups and need to get the sag right before I start playing with the compression and rebound.
I understand that 'no load' sag measurement needs to be taken with the weight fully off the suspension but when I see desired settings of 30-35mm sag for the front I need to know if its static sag or dynamic sag as I presume there is quite a lot of difference between them when measured.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This article explains everything:

Motorcycle Suspension Set-up

A general rule of thumb for road bikes at least is that the sag mesured with the rider sitting on the bike should take up 'about' one third of the total suspension travel available. There are plenty of other articles available on the web; try searching for 'suspension static sag'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts