Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys help me out w/ something? I don't understand why people say "I'll shave my head if I can raise XXX dollars in donations for cancer research" (or whatever the cause is).

I got flamed recently on a different board b/c I made a joke saying that I wouldn't donate b/c I didn't want this girl to shave her head. People got really, upset. Said I was "insensitive" and all that crap. I don't get it. Why is it, that if someone w/o cancer shaves their head, that they are showing support for those that are going through chemo? I'm missing that connection.

For the record: My sister-in-law is a cancer survivor. My grandfather wasn't so lucky, and my aunt will soon be victim to this same fate. So it's not like cancer has not affected my life. I'm all for raising money for good causes, but why shave your head? Why should that encourage me to donate or donate more?

It just seems like this chick was waaaayyyyy taking herself too seriously. After awhile it was like "damn, you really think a lot of yourself".

I guess I'm ranting now....

HD

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
People shave their heads to be bald like chemo treatment patients.

I think it's all right, but lame as a statement to raise money online.

It's more like something you do if your friend or maybe classmate has it.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
luvtolean said:
People shave their heads to be bald like chemo treatment patients.
right, I get that. I just don't understand it. I think *that's* lame.

luvtolean said:
It's more like something you do if your friend or maybe classmate has it.
Still lame. IMO

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Heh. Well, I don't really know what to say.

I'd do it if maybe a friend's child, or a niece or nephew, got it and all their hair was falling out, and they were real self conscious about it...I can see how it might make them feel better.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Heavy-Dee said:
Can you guys help me out w/ something? I don't understand why people say "I'll shave my head if I can raise XXX dollars in donations for cancer research" (or whatever the cause is).

I got flamed recently on a different board b/c I made a joke saying that I wouldn't donate b/c I didn't want this girl to shave her head. People got really, upset. Said I was "insensitive" and all that crap. I don't get it. Why is it, that if someone w/o cancer shaves their head, that they are showing support for those that are going through chemo? I'm missing that connection.

For the record: My sister-in-law is a cancer survivor. My grandfather wasn't so lucky, and my aunt will soon be victim to this same fate. So it's not like cancer has not affected my life. I'm all for raising money for good causes, but why shave your head? Why should that encourage me to donate or donate more?

It just seems like this chick was waaaayyyyy taking herself too seriously. After awhile it was like "damn, you really think a lot of yourself".

I guess I'm ranting now....

HD
Instead they should GROW their hair long. Then shave it to donate to chemo/radiation patients for wigs (people that do that get :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
How about a Pink shirt then?

I would rather shave my head then where a pink T-shirt everytime I go out. See here : http://tracysangels.com/story.html

I AM NOT SAYING I WOULDNT support this cause, but for me to wear a pink shirt it would have to be for a good friend or family member I guess.

·
Registered
113 Posts
An ex had amazing natural red hair and would grow it long and then cut it once a year for "locks for love" or something of the sort. I thought it was a good cause. I can see the "self concisous" thing but that wouldn't score as many points with me as donating it to a wig shop like she did.

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
If someone, or a group of people is willing to send me $1000, I'll gladly shave my head as soon as the check clears.

I'll even post a pic of me shaving it as proof.

:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts