Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I have a 94 900RR. This question revolves around the shifter. The shifter on my bike is directly attached to the transmission. While my friends bike has the shifter attached to the peg and linkage connecting it to the transmission. At first I thought that the previous ovner had bent the original and got the current one as an aftermarket fix. Then I was looking at the linkage and it appears that it would work in reverse of the way my bike currently is set up.

When I shift into second, I am lifting up the shift lever turning the shifter arm counter clockwise. If the other shifter was attached and the linkage was set up the way it was on his bike and on the shop manual I have, with the linkage connection hanging below the shifter arm, When I would shift into second the shifter would be turning the shifter arm clock wise!?!

Something is wierd here.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
You say when you shift into second you lift up. Is that from first to second, or third to second?
Is first gear at the bottom, or is it at the top?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Lifting goes up a gear. From first to second, from second to third. The linkage setup would seem to do the opposite. Lifting up would down shift from second to first. The only way I see it working would be for the linkage nuckle to be on top of the shifter arm. But that's not how it is on his bike or on my manual.

Here's an example of the way most 900RR are.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Well then that is certainly odd. The OEM setup with the linkage has first gear at the bottom, lifting to upshift through sixth, stepping on the lever to downshift back to first.
Putting a VFR lever on like that one should do the opposite, making first gear at the top and sixth at the bottom. Stepping on the lever would upshift through sixth, and lifting on the lever would downshift back through first.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EXACTLY! I'm not crazy. When I saw his bike, I was totally confused. Now even more so. It seems my transmission shifts totally opposite of every other 900RR I have seen.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
dmack said:
OK, I have a 94 900RR. This question revolves around the shifter. The shifter on my bike is directly attached to the transmission. While my friends bike has the shifter attached to the peg and linkage connecting it to the transmission. At first I thought that the previous ovner had bent the original and got the current one as an aftermarket fix. Then I was looking at the linkage and it appears that it would work in reverse of the way my bike currently is set up.

When I shift into second, I am lifting up the shift lever turning the shifter arm counter clockwise. If the other shifter was attached and the linkage was set up the way it was on his bike and on the shop manual I have, with the linkage connection hanging below the shifter arm, When I would shift into second the shifter would be turning the shifter arm clock wise!?!

Something is wierd here.
The only wierd thing is what you might be comparing your bike to.
Yours is correct for a '94 Blade.
My GSXR has a linkage but when I raced it I made adjustable rearsets and an adjustable shift lever directly on the shaft to do away with the linkage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts