Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I've done a few searches trying to find this information, and haven't been successful. I've read a lot about shifting without the clutch, and I'd like to give it a try. Could someone explain the best technique? I know that some "pre-load the shifter", and I've taken this to mean applying pressure on the shifter as you're easing the throttle back on. I've also heard that this will probably cause premature wear to your transmission. I tried the other day, but it seemed as if the shifter wasn't going anywhere. What's the best way to do it, and what sort of RPMs should I be looking at? I'm riding a 2008 1000rr, by the way. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't know why it's so special to you but it depends on your bike and gearing. Every now and again I will upshift or downshift without the clutch because I'm leaning on my left arm comfortably on the highway.

To find your shift point you can start out in any gear (except 6th) and accelerate while applying pressure up until it finds the gear. Same on downshifting. After a while you can feel exactly where your shift points are.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
First of all, I've done a few searches trying to find this information, and haven't been successful. I've read a lot about shifting without the clutch, and I'd like to give it a try. Could someone explain the best technique? I know that some "pre-load the shifter", and I've taken this to mean applying pressure on the shifter as you're easing the throttle back on. I've also heard that this will probably cause premature wear to your transmission. I tried the other day, but it seemed as if the shifter wasn't going anywhere. What's the best way to do it, and what sort of RPMs should I be looking at? I'm riding a 2008 1000rr, by the way. Any help is appreciated.
I don't preload the shifter. RPM don't matter. You can clutchless shift up and down the box at any RPM.
In cars I find I need to preload the shifter for clutchless downshifts.

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Its pretty easy and makes for smoother changes going up the box anyway. Its been gone into in detail in other threads just have a look, never know what else of interest you may stumble across.:D

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Revs arent critical.

Up shifts are easy - just ease the throttle to keep steady speed and push hard on the shifter.

The pre-load is more about using the clutch.
What you do is push slightly on the gear lever, then pull the clutch and when the clutch goes in the gear will shift. That way you shift as soon as the clutch goes in and you can shift quickly by just tapping the clutch rather than the more traditional pull in, then shift, then release.

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Revs arent critical.

Up shifts are easy - just ease the throttle to keep steady speed and push hard on the shifter.

The pre-load is more about using the clutch.
What you do is push slightly on the gear lever, then pull the clutch and when the clutch goes in the gear will shift. That way you shift as soon as the clutch goes in and you can shift quickly by just tapping the clutch rather than the more traditional pull in, then shift, then release.
Pre loading makes it easier too when not using the clutch, its take away the worry of doing it because when you ease of the throttle it slips into gear for you..........no need to think about it imho.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't preload the shifter. RPM don't matter. You can clutchless shift up and down the box at any RPM.
In cars I find I need to preload the shifter for clutchless downshifts.
Was looking for the best way to word it but this pretty much covers it. Car comment included!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like upshifting without the clutch especially when riding hard at high revs,you just close the throttle completly as fast as you can and then upshift at that instant and then wind the throttle open again as fast as you can,and you go flying,sounds great too,but you have to be quicke

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah right can just see you sitting there pencil tapping on teeth thinking "Ill put it this way..............no better that way............or maybe":idunno:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
:rotfl:

Yeah ... ummmmm ... exactly!! You got me pegged to a tee!!!

:rotfl:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts