Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is what does an XX turkey choke buy me over a fulll choke?

also, what calls do you guys use?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I always used a XX Full Choke in my 11-87 for turkey. As for the calls, I would use a slate call when they were a good distance away and when they got closer I would use a diaphragm call.

Dano

{edit} Here's a great site with all kinds of choke and ammo selections for ou to look through. They break it down quite well for ya. Gobble-Gobble

·
Registered
329 Posts
bubba said:
is what does an XX turkey choke buy me over a fulll choke?

also, what calls do you guys use?
I thought a turkey choke had a tighter pattern than a full choke. :idunno:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kidder said:
I thought a turkey choke had a tighter pattern than a full choke. :idunno:

it does, but i was wondering if it really made THAT much of a distance. i think somebody told me they cost 55 bucks, i was not too thrilled about it.

why cant i just use a rifle :rant:

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
bubba said:
If your state laws allow it you can but use only if you like 1/2 of a turkey.

I shoot a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag 3 1/2 in 12ga extra full turkey choke tube and have taken a bird at 65 yards 1 shot.

·
Registered
329 Posts
bubba said:
it does, but i was wondering if it really made THAT much of a distance. i think somebody told me they cost 55 bucks, i was not too thrilled about it.

You are aware that you can get turkey at a grocery store, right? :smilebig:

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
bubba said:

Ya know... for someone lookin' at Vettes and Agustas you really are a cheap bastid. :D

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cbr99xx said:
Ya know... for someone lookin' at Vettes and Agustas you really are a cheap bastid. :D

that is why i can afford those items, because i dont spend money on things that have no positive gain over what i have.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kidder said:
You are aware that you can get turkey at a grocery store, right? :smilebig:

NO, it is not Thanksgiving and the ones there are just left over from then.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hammer said:
If your state laws allow it you can but use only if you like 1/2 of a turkey.

I shoot a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag 3 1/2 in 12ga extra full turkey choke tube and have taken a bird at 65 yards 1 shot.

i am aiming at his head - right, so the shot is going to scatter and get all over him. why not just use my -06 and finish the deal with one shot :idunno:

did you shoot your regular full choke at the same distance and test the pattern out? what was your gain?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sure i am i hit everything i shoot at. just because there is a squirell with a broken tail doesn't mean anything

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I have not shot it much at 65 yards but did shoot quite a bit at 30 yards at a paper plate and lets just say the plate was covered with shot with the turkey choke. Not many birds are actually killed at long range most are taken at less than 40 yards. Spend $55 and shoot farther or save $55 and practice calling more. The mouth calls are needed for CQB but are the hardest to learn.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i drew in about 12 turkey one day while deer hunting with a deer call. it took about 45 minutes, but they came back to me after going away.

the only thing i can think of is that they felt safe thinking there was a deer there, i may have to break that call out as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts