Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm looking at buying a crashed 2006 Cbr600rr and restoring it back to excellent condition! I've been doing a lot of thinking and research trying to decide whether or not I would want to get involved in something like that. I am fairly confident in my skills to restore its aesthetics condition but don't really know the limit to my experience when It comes to working on engines.

The bike was side-swiped by a van going 35 then slid on the opposite side and crashed into a guard rail. You can read more about it and see pictures on this link:

mildly crashed 06 cbr600rr

Is it a good idea to buy a wrecked bike?
What should I be check for? Straight frame, running engine, ect. . .
How much am I going to have to put into it to have a good, strong, legal running bike?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Looks in surprisingly good shape for what it's been through. If the frame is definitely intact I would go for it. Question I would ask them is why they are getting rid as surely the other drivers insurance would pay to restore her.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Full new fairings for 'aprox £300, radiator and fan £30-80, indicators (cheap depending on type you want) I would ask for a full list of ALL damaged parts and work it out for yourself. Could be a good deal for you in the long run. Again tho, main thing is the engine and frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about when It comes to wrecked/salvaged titles? I've heard that that decreases the final value of your product by 50%! Also, what loops do I have to jump through to re-title it(inspections, tests)?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Unless they reported the accident to insurance and an adjuster came out and declared the bike a loss it should still have a clean title. You would just need to transfer the title over to yourself and title it in Idaho. Not sure about what type of fees your looking at. I recently just got my bike inspected and registered her in WA and I payed like $150.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Yes you should! That thing looks to be in pretty great shape still.

I just picked up a wrecked 600rr with a destroyed set of cases that I'll build into a fighter:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Do it!

I would snatch that up in a heart beat and turn it into a track bike!

@ Surteez... in my experience, with a bike that old (yes, an 06 is considered old!) the insurance company will write it off. In an accident, they have to return the vehicle to the condition it was before. Look at the frame, there are scratches on it. They don't fix that, they replace. That alone probably pushed the bike over the limit.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Vfrman - understood. Maybe it's due to the fact I ride a bike nearly as old as me!!!

Isn't 06 brand new ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How will I know the engine is still intact? Could there have been some damage to the engine with the impact(bent piston rod or something)? How can I make a good decision if I can't start the thing up(It has no radiator)?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I would give it a full visual inspection on your hands and knees.

As Burton says, i wouldnt be affraid to start her up without the rad (to hear what she has to say for herself ;) ) but yes make sure there is sufficient oil inside

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought one and stripped it down after she started, before you put her all back together I would send her out to check the frame, should cost about 200 to get it checked and straightened. that way when you put her back together there will be no guessing,:thumb:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have an 06 and an NC23 (1989)

I consider my 06 brand new :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought one and stripped it down after she started, before you put her all back together I would send her out to check the frame, should cost about 200 to get it checked and straightened. that way when you put her back together there will be no guessing,:thumb:
WOW! Great advise THANK YOU!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I wouldnt hesitate to buy it, as long as the engine is intact. If theyre listing at 1400 you can get it cheaper than that.

Have you asked them if its a clean or salvage title? My guess would be that its not, if theyre selling it in that condition chances are they didnt have insurance.

I bought a salvage SV in WA and it took zero inspection or anything to retitle/plate it, but do your own research by calling the DMV

1 - 19 of 19 Posts