Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been thinking for a while now. Should I get a nice leather suit? I do most riding on the street, the occasional drag (at the strip) and want to do a few track days this year to get into the whole track thing.

Right now I have a Joe Rocket Meteor jacket, and a pair of joe rocket ballistic pants. I really like these because they are comfortable, they have removeable liners to accomodate the changing weather, they are waterproof, and they have nice vents for when it is hot.

I am looking at a Teknic violator suit and want to know if it's worth it to switch? Is the leather suit really that much more protective? Will I need a leather suit to do track days or is the JR gear adequate? The violator suit is a great deal so if I should get a leather suit then I better do it now!

Thanks for the advice!

Mark
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,731 Posts
What Northy said. Some will allow textile suits like an Aerostich in the Novice group, but if you're considering doing several track days, you'll be much better off with a leather suit...they do protect better. Make sure you get a good one with armor and get a back protector. If you get a 2-piece, ensure that it's a full-circumferance zipper, not just the kind that just zips across the back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I definately believe in ultimate protection on track and road. What price do you pay for safety. Well as much as you can afford. I may look like a wanker in my full leathers everyday at work but I feel confident on the road. Alpinestar, shoei, and sidi, protects me all the way from home to work.

darkblade. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
I have both leather and textile, to go fast, the leather is :thumb: there is a lot more drag with textile. :twocents:

For racing that is :evilaugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,098 Posts
Yes....buy a decent set of leathers if you plan on doing more than just a couple of track days.

I started out with an Aerostich, but once I realized that I had the track day itch, I bought a set.....2pc at first because I thought I would use them on the street as well. This turned out to be false economy, and a year later I picked up a 1 pc....

My 2 cents....skip the 2pc step, and buy the best 1pc your budget allows....better protection, and better comfort.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
:thumb: :thumb:
Baketech said:
Yes....buy a decent set of leathers if you plan on doing more than just a couple of track days.

I started out with an Aerostich, but once I realized that I had the track day itch, I bought a set.....2pc at first because I thought I would use them on the street as well. This turned out to be false economy, and a year later I picked up a 1 pc....

My 2 cents....skip the 2pc step, and buy the best 1pc your budget allows....better protection, and better comfort.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, ok. I get the idea. I bought a Teknic Violator 1 piece suit. Silver/black. Can't wait to get it to find out how much weight I have to lose to get my fat ass in the suit!! :D I hear this is a good suit and hopefully I will never have to find out if it is or not!!

Mark
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,692 Posts
2k2954 said:
ok, ok. I get the idea. I bought a Teknic Violator 1 piece suit. Silver/black. Can't wait to get it to find out how much weight I have to lose to get my fat ass in the suit!! :D I hear this is a good suit and hopefully I will never have to find out if it is or not!!

Mark
Going with leather is a good choice IMHO. :thumb:

I know what you mean about fitting into the leathers, its been one year and one month (and about 25 lbs.) since I quit smoking. Time to hit the bicycle! :smilebig:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,098 Posts
2k2954 said:
ok, ok. I get the idea. I bought a Teknic Violator 1 piece suit. Silver/black. Can't wait to get it to find out how much weight I have to lose to get my fat ass in the suit!! :D I hear this is a good suit and hopefully I will never have to find out if it is or not!!

Mark
Rock on.... :freebird:

Speaking of fat asses, a 1pc is a good training motivator as it reminds you of your physical condition. I let myself slide a few pounds over the holidays....had to get back on the wagon this month to be ready for spring.... :crap:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,692 Posts
ratter said:
Buy leather 20 million cows can't be wrong ;)
Better cowhide than my hide! :nod:

Besides, maybe someday a lady will walk up to you and tell you that her little girl just asked if you were a Power Ranger.... Happened to me. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,183 Posts
cbr99xx said:
Besides, maybe someday a lady will walk up to you and tell you that her little girl just asked if you were a Power Ranger.... Happened to me. :D

If you had you back protectoir outside your leathers, she may have thought you were a ninja turtle ;)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,596 Posts
Now that you bought it, please remember to wear it! :thumb:
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top