Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a SC33 project bike almost 2 months ago and been reading a lot of fireblades.org, and now I have a question. I'll save my stupid story for a build post.

I'm in the process of streetfighter'ing the SC33, and want to convert it to a single seat (have a spare subframe with plastic, stored safely for the future). Most streetfighter 'blades I've seen use a different seat frame from another bike, or use something fully custom or heavily modified. See the black example below.
custom_rear_sub.PNG

My question: Is it safe to just chop the rear subframe behind the first pillion mount and ride like that (see photo below)? Considering it won't be carrying a passenger, is there enough strength left? Should I worry about torsional rigidity?

subframe_cut.PNG

I've found only one example of this (see silver example below) and wondering why I haven't seen more. Are they unsafe, or do people just think they look like garbage?

chopped_rear_sub.PNG

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought a SC33 project bike almost 2 months ago and been reading a lot of fireblades.org, and now I have a question. I'll save my stupid story for a build post.

I'm in the process of streetfighter'ing the SC33, and want to convert it to a single seat (have a spare subframe with plastic, stored safely for the future). Most streetfighter 'blades I've seen use a different seat frame from another bike, or use something fully custom or heavily modified. See the black example below.
View attachment 107772

My question: Is it safe to just chop the rear subframe behind the first pillion mount and ride like that (see photo below)? Considering it won't be carrying a passenger, is there enough strength left? Should I worry about torsional rigidity?

View attachment 107773

I've found only one example of this (see silver example below) and wondering why I haven't seen more. Are they unsafe, or do people just think they look like garbage?

View attachment 107774
It looks chopped rather than purpose built, I’d be inclined to fab a sub frame from scratch if you have the know how. Not sure what something like that would cost to have done :unsure:

·
Registered
145 Posts

View attachment 107772

View attachment 107773

View attachment 107774
Or chop it where you have shown but lose the bracing plate to close the angle between the upper and lower rail then re brace if that makes sense?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @S4m . Custom frame is definitely the way to go if I had the know how. Even cutting and rebracing as you say would take some welding, and I wouldn't trust my welding ability on a life-or-death component like this. I'll look into a fabricator, but in the meantime it sounds like there's no structural reason not to cut where I have indicated. I found a post on a streetfighter specific forum that answered the question. Consensus there was also "do a custom frame", but also that these cuts were safe.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Whats up man. You should check out customfighters.com for stuff like this.

I’ve done a bobbed 929 like the one you pictured. I cut it where you indicated and had a plate welded to the back for structural integrity, plus a place to mount my tail light/plate. Plenty of good info out there for ya. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts