Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 cbr f4i. It started to overheat on me (I was hitting 270 degrees fahrenheit on highway and streets) so I took it to a local motorcycle shop. They did a diagnostic and found that I have to replace the thermostat assembly, fanswitch, waterpump. All together with labor they said it would be $450...$270 for parts and $180 for labor. Is the quote they gave me accurate? I tried to do some of my own research but had a hard time finding prices on the OEM parts. I am trying to decide if I really want to spend that money on the bike given its current value? I commute on a daily basis for an hour to work and an hour back. Any advice would help, thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I have a 2003 cbr f4i. It started to overheat on me (I was hitting 270 degrees fahrenheit on highway and streets) so I took it to a local motorcycle shop. They did a diagnostic and found that I have to replace the thermostat assembly, fanswitch, waterpump. All together with labor they said it would be $450...$270 for parts and $180 for labor. Is the quote they gave me accurate? I tried to do some of my own research but had a hard time finding prices on the OEM parts. I am trying to decide if I really want to spend that money on the bike given its current value? I commute on a daily basis for an hour to work and an hour back. Any advice would help, thanks in advance!

It seems very unlikely to me that all three parts would fail together.
Was the radiator full and holding coolant?
It is likely the fan was not working but that doesn't explain why the engine was overheating to begin with. Much more likely to be a coolant leak. Did they pressure test the system? Have they checked that the head gasket is intact?

Their pricing isn't bad.
Switch is $43.
OEM Parts Honda CBR600F4I (CBR600F4) 2003 RADIATOR ('01-'06) - Cheap Cycle Parts
Thermostat is $35.
OEM Parts Honda CBR600F4I (CBR600F4) 2003 THERMOSTAT - Cheap Cycle Parts
Pump is $133.
OEM Parts Honda CBR600F4I (CBR600F4) 2003 WATER PUMP - Cheap Cycle Parts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off thank you for your response. Yes they did pressure check the radiator and found no leaks. As far as the coolant, I am not sure if it was full or even enough since I just recently got the bike. I'm glad to hear that the price is on par with where it should be thought it doesn't make it any easier to pay the amount. I don't think they performed the gaskt check but I will ask and get back to you when I find out

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
First off thank you for your response. Yes they did pressure check the radiator and found no leaks. As far as the coolant, I am not sure if it was full or even enough since I just recently got the bike. I'm glad to hear that the price is on par with where it should be thought it doesn't make it any easier to pay the amount. I don't think they performed the gaskt check but I will ask and get back to you when I find out

If the system pressurised okay then the head gasket should be fine.
I would put fresh coolant in, new thermostat, bleed it up and see how it goes.
The fan switch and pump are easy enough to do later on if they're still required.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cannot have the bike in the shop for too long since it is my primary mode of transportation to work. I simply chose to go ahead with all of the maintenance because I am short on time. Thank you for your feedback, this forum rocks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts