Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am thinking it may be a good idea to check the valve clearances on my 04 cbr1000rr. It is all stock and it has 14k miles. I would speculate that the owner I bought it from did not take great care of it. So my questions are:

1. Is it necessary for me to check the valve clearances now?
2. Are there any other procedures I can do while I have it opened? any seals or hardware I can change?

I did have some carbon on the plugs when I pulled them in June. Any thoughts on that? I am not experienced enough to know why or how they got that way.

Thank you for your time. I have learned a lot from you all!!

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
They shouldn't need checking at 14k. Carbon deposits on old plugs is normal. I'd be more worried if they're oily, stick a new set in and check them after 500 miles.

If your unsure of the bikes history I'd just give it a good service, change all the fluids and filters, grease any cables, check/clean/ lubricate the chain and check brake pads. All fairly straightforward

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks Gunk! I already got all the general stuff like that.

I am hearing a slight ticking noise in the lower rmp range and it seem like now it has carried over into all engine speeds. I may have just not noticed it before. I am not sure if this is normal but I have read for some Honda bikes it is. How about the 04?

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Okay, thanks Gunk! I already got all the general stuff like that.

I am hearing a slight ticking noise in the lower rmp range and it seem like now it has carried over into all engine speeds. I may have just not noticed it before. I am not sure if this is normal but I have read for some Honda bikes it is. How about the 04?

Thanks for all the help!
noisy valves are happy valves. when they get quite is when you should be concerned.

of course its hard to tell you with any assurance the ticking youre hearing is a-ok over the forum. but hondas are generally fairly noisy top end bikes. my 954 makes some ticking and it has since ive had it at 9,000 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts