Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, it depends on the families financial situation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
I voted maybe. Shoulda put a 1/2 and 1/2 in there or something. I've been financially responsible for myself since the age of 16. My parents have helped me w/ car insurance, other then that I've been on my own

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
oh hell no. once the kid graduates high school, there is no more financial responsibility for the parents - they want to goto college, get a job, or better yet - scholarships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Registered
105 Posts
I made a deal with my parents when I was going to college that I must get grants/ loans to pay for college initially. But, If I maintained a 3.5 GPA or better, they would pay off all loans upon my graduation. Needless to say I took college very seriously, and graduated with a 3.63 GPA and started the initial job search without having a $40,000 debt.
I voted based upon families finincial status, but I don't believe that paying for it outright initially builds a sense of responsibility for a college education.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
If the parent's can pay, and the kid is taking advantage of the opportunity the parent's should pay. As soon as the kid takes it for granted and isn't making the most of the opportunity it becomes the kid's responsibility.

My parent's told me growing up that they would live on hot dogs and grilled cheese to send me to college. When it came down to it, it was more important for them to restore an old muscle car (that I had bought and planned to restore but then GAVE to my dad) than to lessen the burden of college loans. When I asked if they could help me more, I got the 'We can't afford it card', which they play whenever it suits them.

·
Registered
846 Posts
My parents made too much money for me to be eligible for financial aid and I knew if I let them pay my tuition they would just hang that over my head forever.

So, at 18 I joined the military. Four years later I was eligible for all types of financial aid(because of filing independent on taxes) as well as the IL Veterans Grant which paid 100% of my tuition and fees. All I had to come up with was living expense money - and with the GI bill and financial aid I was able to eek out an education with a minimum of student loans.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I am saving too but with the Vet thing, they have only one option, CALI or their mother can pay. No longer $$$ responsible for their finances after 18. Hey, CS should be invested for their future as well. Anyway, gonna be a hell of vacation with their college fund!

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I put myself through school with the Pell grant in the beginning and school loans. It sure feels better than someone else paying because I did it myself. I'm not having kids but if I did, I would start the college fund shortly after birth. I would tell the kid that as long as he/she passes their courses and doesn't change majors more than once, I would pay. But I would also tell them they could blow their college fund on a bike/cage if they got scholarship $. I had scholarships for tuition and books when I graduated high school but couldn't get someone to pay my room and board to save my life.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Heavy-Dee : Quote (Mattress @ July 29 2003, 10:14am)College is overrated...my dad saved for years for me to go, but I ended up not going
So then your dad has a nest chunk of change to either help retire on, or drop on a toy for himself.  

The money was there if you wanted it.
I figure he can use it, he wants to buy a plane, I don't need it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My parents paid half and I picked up the rest of the tab. I will have them all paid off (student loans) in another year or so (woohoo&#33. I was glad my parents helped out. I goofed off in school and got to just enjoy the experience rather than continuously doing school, homework, and then running off to work. I had a couple of short jobs in college for extra money here and there but that is about it. It allowed me the time I needed to figure out who I was and what I wanted to do with my life (you can't tell me anyone has that figured out by the time they get out of high school).

I plan on paying as much of my kids college as possible. I don't believe making them pay for it makes them more responsible in any way. They can learn that by making sure their rent is paid on time and things like that. There are definitely other ways to teach responsibility without having the burden of trying to work and find time to study as well.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
lfg929 : My parents paid half and I picked up the rest of the tab. I will have them all paid off (student loans) in another year or so (woohoo&#33. I was glad my parents helped out. I goofed off in school and got to just enjoy the experience rather than continuously doing school, homework, and then running off to work. I had a couple of short jobs in college for extra money here and there but that is about it. It allowed me the time I needed to figure out who I was and what I wanted to do with my life (you can't tell me anyone has that figured out by the time they get out of high school).

I plan on paying as much of my kids college as possible. I don't believe making them pay for it makes them more responsible in any way. They can learn that by making sure their rent is paid on time and things like that. There are definitely other ways to teach responsibility without having the burden of trying to work and find time to study as well.
Here here. Well said. I agree 100%.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Heavy-Dee : Quote (booth23 @ July 29 2003, 10:30am)I'm not having kids
The world just breathed a sigh of relief!  

They cost too much $ and require to much attention, I'll be getting myself a dog instead

1 - 20 of 43 Posts