Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bit of a nightmare and had a low high-sided the other day. (which was of course a mile from home after a full day run). Luckily the bike was unscathed mechanically, the engine, frame and sub frame are still fine but the tank and fairings became a bit of a mess. . .

I'm currently repairing the fairings using ABS welding rods and a soldering iron and using J-B weld as a filler, and whilst I'm working on the headlight area I was wondering whether or not to sheet over the sidelight and fill it in to make the front end look a bit cleaner?

Question is. . Is this a good idea? I have read some posts saying that a working sidelight that comes on automatically at ignition is essential to pass an MOT and I've read other posts saying that only 50% of front lights need to be working to pass. . .

Does anyone know for definite as I would love to get rid of the front 'sidelight' before I give the bike a new lick of paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts

Many of the rules to do with construction and use, which things like the lights would come under, are based on the first registration date.

If your bike didn't have a sidelight that came on with ignition, then you don't need to fit one.
However, you do need a sidelight, if one was fitted.

Maybe some of those LED strips might work - that's what I'm thinking of doing because the Fireblade sidelight is a waste of time! ;-)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Fairing is originally from the bike it's on, Which is a 1999 (however registered in 2000) Honda CBR 918 RRX (r-127a colour code to be pedantic) which did originally come with a sidelight as standard. . . So that means, I'm guessing that I will need to have some form of sidelight?

L.E.D idea is good. . do you think if i was to solder a plate over the light fixing gap and fill and smooth out I could get away with having the led sticking out the side somewhere, maybe added into the indicator stems, and wired into the sidelight wiring?

Cheers for quick response!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would guess as long as you have a light that is basically where you expect to see one, you should be ok, but have a word with your local MOT tester and see what they say.

Having made changes to my bikes in the past, I've found it very difficult to get a straight answer on what's legal, and what isn't. The Police will bounce you to DVLA who bounce you to the MOT centre who bounce you to the Police!

As long as it looks good, you shouldn't have any problems! ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.