Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well yesterday while checking my tires before riding, i noticed that the rear wheel had very slight play from side to side. bad wheel bearing?
I kinda knew something was up because the rear has always felt a little wobbly. BTW how dangerous is it that i still ride? its my only means of transport lol.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hold wheel top and bottom, if you have movement the bearing has gone, if you want to keep riding, this is not a problem as long as you like games such as russian roulette, :eyebrows: The bearing can overheat, then seize and spit you off, or just collaps and spit you off, or it could just keep going and going. Your call:thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I take it easy knowing there is something wrong back there, replacements are like $70 so hopefully soon ill be able to fix it.
Sucks being 21 and supporting yourself and mother.

·
Registered
900 Posts
That seams a lot for a bearing, have a shop around you might get lucky, maybe someone on here can come up with one, like you say stay steady feel the bike and be safe.

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
Yeah I take it easy knowing there is something wrong back there, replacements are like $70 so hopefully soon ill be able to fix it.
Sucks being 21 and supporting yourself and mother.
Alright, I hear ya. Gotta make a living.:thumb: This is the story for you. The bearing's are bad, and they need replaced. For now, "if it is unaffordable", you better check it closely EVERY time you go for a ride. YES, this rear wheel will stop rotating in an abrupt way, that may put an end to your present conditions.:thumbd: I realize you are a smart enough to know this.
So, here is some knowledge; Find a Bearing shop nearby. Next; take the rear wheel off and remove all of the bearings as carefully as possible. Once you have the bearings in your hands, take them to the bearing shop. If this shop is worth a hoot, they will use a micrometer and measure out all the dimensions for you, and give a good set of matching bearings back, for a price that may just fit your wallet. All you have to do is get the bearings to a shop that sells them. Look it up in the yellow pages or internet.
I have done this for myself a number of times, for a few of the bikes I have owned over the years. Most of my friends did this at one time or another; we all have had great success. We all told the respective bearing shop that the bearings were going onto a motorcycle. You do not have to go to a Honda dealer for bearings.
You can get the same, or better bearings from a Bearing distributer, and sometimes for a far cheaper price and right on the spot; no shipping, no waiting and you did it for your self.:cool:
It may not be as simple as this sounds, but, you can do this. There should be three bearings for your rear wheel. One for the sprocket and damper, Two for the wheel it self. Get all three and take them to the bearing shop for replacement. You'll probably wish you did the front bearings too.;)
Take your time. Be carefull. Say, Hi to Mom. Your a good man.:thumb:

Reactions: bladeracer

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey thanks for the reply man, Can you estimate how much you spent on the bearings total? I just finished a temp fix on a leaky petcock valve and now I have to deal with this. Well, they say when it rains it pours.
I can't be too mad considering I got the bike for a steal and it starts up everytime no problem. Only things bugging me are the petcock valve, the bearings and my throttle cables are way to short and when i turn full left or right the throttle can get stuck. (added the dirtbike bars)
Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
900 Posts
David Silver Spares

Looking for Genuine Honda cleaners, polishes, tank pads, battery chargers? Click the Generic Accessories tab!​

CBR900RRX FIREBLADE 1999
Enlarge image

Wheel bearing, Rear

Each

Type
Genuine Honda Part
Part No
91052MAE004

Price
£8.50
Approx
€ 9.82 | $ 13.71
¥ 1237.77

Quantity

Stock
5+ In Stock - Usually ships in 48 hours

BACK

Search by model
Search by part number
PRODUCT CATEGORIES
PRACTICAL THINGS
BSM Exhausts
KYMCO

MY ACCOUNT
TOP SELLING PARTS
Featured Parts

slide.delay = 3000; slide.init();

MY ACCOUNT

DELIVERY & RETURNS

COMPANY INFORMATION

MODELS

© David Silver Spares Ltd 1986 - 2010 | David Silver Spares Ltd is not a franchised Honda dealer
var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www."); document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E")); var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-4063529-1"); pageTracker._initData(); pageTracker._trackPageview();

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just finished a temp fix on a leaky petcock valve and now I have to deal with this.
Tell me about it. Today I was trying to fix an issue with my front wheel and figured I would deal with an oil leak from a clutch cover while I was at it. Come to find out the leak was actually coming from a big crack in the clutch casing that had been welded at some point. Just another thing that I would like to have been told upon purchasing! :rant:

Anyway, like I said I was working on the wheels and had done a few searches for bearings. Come to find out, Sears sells replacement bearings for motorcycles and ATV's. I did not get to the point of actually finding the exact bearings needed for my bike, but the prices listed seem pretty fair in general.

Motorcycle & ATV Wheel Bearings at Sears Automotive

1 - 9 of 9 Posts