Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what tools do I need and what is the measurements from the swing arm? also I dont have a rear stand can I still tighten without one? sorry for the nooby question.

thanks

mark

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
MarkN929RR said:
what tools do I need and what is the measurements from the swing arm? also I dont have a rear stand can I still tighten without one? sorry for the nooby question.

thanks

mark
There is a write up in the knowledge base.

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
You should also have an owners manual with your bike. It has a full set of instructions as to how to adjust the tension on your chain. It's a very easy process.

And no, you don't need a center stand.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You really do need a torque wrench to tighten the axle nut.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It's best to have someone who knows what to do, watch over you the first time to make sure you have done everything correctly, but it is not a hard job, it's just reassuring to know you have done things correctly :thumb:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Joel said:
You really do need a torque wrench to tighten the axle nut.
I know a guy who only ever uses the bike's own toolkit to tighten the axle nut :eek: - so he can be sure he'll be able to get it undone again...

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
AndyL said:
I know a guy who only ever uses the bike's own toolkit to tighten the axle nut :eek: - so he can be sure he'll be able to get it undone again...
Yikes, that POS wrench? :eek: I use a torque wrench and put it at the proper spec. I have no problems getting it undone again. Tell your friend a girl can undo a properly torqued axle nut!! :D

·
Banned
3,466 Posts
I've had several bikes over the years and always do my own work on them. But I have never once used a torque wrench to tighten the axle nut. I've always gone by feel only. Never had a single problem.

But you folks have convinced me to go buy a torque wrench this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
MarkN929RR said:
also I dont have a rear stand can I still tighten without one?

mark
Sure, you should be able to do this without a swingarm stand but.... I would recommend springing for one. The amount of time and effort saved by this one piece of equipment is worth the price of admission alone. The stability the stand lends to such mundane tasks as chain lubrication to the never-ending battle against dirt and grime will cause you to question your hesitation towards the purchase. :D

Just remembered that you have a 929... If you do get a swingarm stand, make sure it is one that will compensate for the 929's asymmetrical swingarm design. Pit Bull has a spacer specifically for the 929 that bolts to their stands.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Didn't someone post about correctly aligning the rear tire with strings or something like that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts