Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A member of www.1000rr.net brought to my attention a discoloration issue with the silver/black CRB1000RR's ( it's his pic ).

On the right side of the bike, in the upper opening, you will notice the overflow hose running between the radiator and plastic. Owners have noticed discoloration that seems to follow the overflow hose. I have this as well.

What's not clear is if the hose is causing the problem by transferring heat from the radiator, getting hot itself, or if the radiator itself is causing this. I have chosen to wait and see if Honda issues a service bulletin, since replacing the plastic would just lead to the same problem. If this does not happen soon, i will re-route the overflow hose, have the plastic replaced, and hope for the best.

There have been some reports of this with other colors, but the silver/black seems to be the most prolific offender.

Check your bike. If you have this problem, i don't think getting the plastic replaced is an issue, but please call Honda customer service ( 1-866-784-1870 ) and let them know this problem is going on so we can get acknowledgment from Honda, just in case it's the radiator, and not the hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
It happened to mine too. My dealer ordered me a new mid, and I'm gonna put some heat tape on the back, and maybe zip tie those hoses back farther.

Act quick on this guys, as my dealer said that Honda only gives a 45 day warranty on cosmetics. :idunno:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smitty929RR said:
It happened to mine too. My dealer ordered me a new mid, and I'm gonna put some heat tape on the back, and maybe zip tie those hoses back farther.

Act quick on this guys, as my dealer said that Honda only gives a 45 day warranty on cosmetics. :idunno:
Really? My dealer forgot to mention this. I have called a registered a complaint with Honda, so will they still fix this later?

Do me a favor and call Honda, and tell them you had this problem.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Smitty929RR said:

thats bullchit, i had my rear cowl replaced on my 929 nearly a year after i bought it ....

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
FullForce said:
thats bullchit, i had my rear cowl replaced on my 929 nearly a year after i bought it ....

I think he means the tail....where there would be two spiderwebing cracks behind the drivers seat. They would get worse and worse if not addressed. I have seen that on many 929's. Mine never did that...could have been my riding position. :idunno:

·
Registered
198 Posts
To me cracking is not cosmetic, it is broken. This just looks like the heat is burning the clearcoat maybe. Other that that the fairing is fine. My dealer got mine in already, I'll be able to insulate it better.

·
Registered
453 Posts
what happens on the 929 is the hinges for the rear seat are located right behind the part of the rear cowl behind your butt on the flat part .... when u sit near the back of the seat the cowl will bend in a little and touch the sharp hinges that are behind it, and the hinges will not give so they push back against the cowl and over time start to spderweb the paint ... the cowl is not cracked, just the finish ...... most 929 owners dont even know that their cowl is cracked because its hard to see ....... i was the 1st person that i know of to post about this on the old esportbike forum and after i did i got alot of replies like " i looked at mine and i'll be damned if mines not cracked too!"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine discoloration has now spread to the whole upper vent area. This proves that it's heat from the rad and hoses and NOT the overflow tube simply transferring heat.

Still hoping for a service bulletin on this.
Come on Honda!

·
Registered
393 Posts
FullForce said:
what happens on the 929 is the hinges for the rear seat are located right behind the part of the rear cowl behind your butt on the flat part .... when u sit near the back of the seat the cowl will bend in a little and touch the sharp hinges that are behind it, and the hinges will not give so they push back against the cowl and over time start to spderweb the paint ... the cowl is not cracked, just the finish ...... most 929 owners dont even know that their cowl is cracked because its hard to see ....... i was the 1st person that i know of to post about this on the old esportbike forum and after i did i got alot of replies like " i looked at mine and i'll be damned if mines not cracked too!"
I had mine replaced also. I put some foam rubber on the hinges, but it didn't work. The new one is also spiderwebbed. Oh well.....

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
DG rider said:
What's not clear is if the hose is causing the problem by transferring heat from the radiator, getting hot itself, or if the radiator itself is causing this. I have chosen to wait and see if Honda issues a service bulletin, since replacing the plastic would just lead to the same problem. If this does not happen soon, i will re-route the overflow hose, have the plastic replaced, and hope for the best.
Any news on this? My bike did the same and I'm going to pick up a new fairing under warranty this afternoon. What to do so it does not happen again :idunno:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
this also happened to another 1000rr silver/black rider. he hasn't done anything about it and it may be past a year for him already.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I wonder if it isn't heat from the exhaust. There may be a heat pipe or chimney effect between the exhaust and radiator and the heat is coming out
through that fairing vent. If that is the case then there isn't much to do except apply heat shielding to the fairing and hope for the best.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
This is old news.

This has been happening to the lighter colored 1000rr since their release. IIRC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts