Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not going to go into great detail about my recent experience but I wanted to warn members to be careful about being eager to trust a site sponsor/vendor.

I was browsing, looking to buy something and checked out the vendors website to get a general idea of prices. I then called up to see if there was any discounts available to .org members and to my surprise I got quoted a price that was $11 more than what they had listed on their website! WTF? :confused: I then got a quote for some other parts and heard another ridiculously high price. There was one item on my list for which the price seemed fair/comparable to local dealerships but I just decided against purchasing anything.

When I pointed out that the website price was cheaper than what I was quoted I was simply told to "order through the website and we'll honor that price", no thanks :thumbd:

Great job of looking out for us members :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,126 Posts
Well, I do know that a lot of places charge less for items when ordered online, since they aren't paying someone to take the order. What was the total price of the item?

(And, no one said the sponsors have the best prices on any particular item. You should shop around, and at least check with the site sponsors to see where they fall.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
If it's Cal-Sportbikes, I've only had really good service from them...
did you tell them that their quoted price was more then what their website shows it for? could have been a mistake, and you know as I do everyone makes mistakes, if you tell them, I'm sure they would happily re-quote you the correct price ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
Scratch said:
I'm not going to go into great detail about my recent experience but I wanted to warn members to be careful about being eager to trust a site sponsor/vendor.

I was browsing, looking to buy something and checked out the vendors website to get a general idea of prices. I then called up to see if there was any discounts available to .org members and to my surprise I got quoted a price that was $11 more than what they had listed on their website! WTF? :confused: I then got a quote for some other parts and heard another ridiculously high price. There was one item on my list for which the price seemed fair/comparable to local dealerships but I just decided against purchasing anything.

When I pointed out that the website price was cheaper than what I was quoted I was simply told to "order through the website and we'll honor that price", no thanks :thumbd:

Great job of looking out for us members :rolleyes:
This is exactly the situation you should be specific and give details.

Otherwise, you're just talking smack and should be ignored.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
I think that he is trying to be "politically correct" and not bad mouth/single out a site sponsor openly, as they do support the site we all like and use. Maybe just a freindly reminder to "check your prices" before you buy :idunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Northern RR said:
I think that he is trying to be "politically correct" and not bad mouth/single out a site sponsor openly, as they do support the site we all like and use. Maybe just a freindly reminder to "check your prices" before you buy :idunno:
:thumb:


lean- Go ahead and delete this thread, it's just simply another case of "buyer beware". Sorry for any inconvenience. And I never talk smack unless I'm prepared to back it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,271 Posts
Interestingly, I have recommended Street & Comp for various items in the past, only to have someone tell me that "their prices on the website" were too high. When I recommend they call and get pricing, without exception the price is lower than what is posted on the site.

I would imagine this type of thing (and obviously the opposite) happens quite a bit, as some dealers are more "web centric" than others.

The real problem I see from your original post is the somewhat indifferent answer you received when asking about the pricing. Maybe I'm reading something into this, but the attitude I sense from the person on the other end of the phone weighs heavily on my decision to conduct business with any potential vendor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
abtech said:
Interestingly, I have recommended Street & Comp for various items in the past, only to have someone tell me that "their prices on the website" were too high.
i've used street and comp in the past as well. i never had a problem with anyone there, or their prices. i'm also careful never to call a parts house, before i'm sure everyone's in and had their coffee, either........... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
Scratch said:
:thumb:


lean- Go ahead and delete this thread, it's just simply another case of "buyer beware". Sorry for any inconvenience. And I never talk smack unless I'm prepared to back it up.
Naw, we'll leave it up. I think you had good intentions.

I just think this thread paints everyone, sponsors and site in a negative light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
luvtolean said:
Naw, we'll leave it up. I think you had good intentions.

I just think this thread paints everyone, sponsors and site in a negative light.
Lean- I did have good intentions. But I think you're right that this paints everyone in a negative light so I'll clarify for the benefit of other sponsors and the board in general since this thread is staying up.

Honestly it's really not that big of a deal, that's why I thought about deleting it after posting.

My problem was with RonAyers. I guess I felt kind of betrayed :idunno:

It basically boils down to one item that I was interested in, a service manual for the 929, the other items discussed were priced accordingly with local dealerships (usually notorious for overcharging).

I went on RonAyer's website and saw that it was $57.75 IIRC. When I called and asked to speak w/ Chip he told me that it was $68 plus shipping. I called about it to see if he'd cut a break or ship free for a forum member. Imagine my surprise when I found out he actually wanted to charge $11 more. Not a huge amount but still made me think. When I brought up the website price is when I got the cold shoulder and Chip told me to go ahead and order online to get that price. To which I thought.."Why can't you just take my order over the phone?" But okay, sure I guess it's cheaper for them to do it all through the website.

The reason I got angry and felt kinda betrayed etc. is because I've sent countless people to RonAyers for tires and other stuff for the last several years. I've always given them positive reviews on numerous forums. And this seemed out of character for Chip because he seems to bend over backwards to get people good pricing on the r1-forum. Even when they jacked up their tire pricing I continued to shop and send my friends there. I wasn't asking for much IMO. Sure he may not be aware of every single price listed on the website, but still it rubbed me the wrong way. Especially the attitude, maybe he was having a bad day or maybe I just took it wrong but after hanging up I knew I wouldn't be buying anything from there again.

After hanging up with him I called a local place (the notorious over-chargers) and they told me I could have the 929 manual for $60 even. This led to the question "Why buy any OEM parts from RonAyers if even my local dealer can match or beat that price w/o me even asking for any special consideration?"

For OEM stuff (from now on) the man to go to is going to be Kevin at mrcycles.com. He's a class act and will always do his best, even if you're not a member of any forum.

For aftermarket stuff Slava @ flatout is awesome, as well as Todd from Calsportbike, can't go wrong with either of those two guys. Not only do they provide great prices but their customer service is 2nd to none! They go above and beyond to make sure everyone gets treated right.

Chip made me feel like I was waisting his time, I couldn't wait to get off the phone. I won't be sending any more business (including my own) to RonAyers. My friends trust me and I'm not going to send them somewhere I have my doubts about.

In the end it was all just over $11 bucks, not that big a deal I agree. But still it makes you question things. Usually if you call and talk to someone they'll give you a better price then what they have going on their website, not the other way around. I was disappointed and maybe posted too soon before I had a chance to think it over, cool down, take my business elsewhere and just plain forget about the whole thing.

You all deserved an explanation and so here it is. I may be wrong and if I am I'll apologize. I just thought it was kind of shitty, especially coming from a "sponsor".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
abtech said:
The real problem I see from your original post is the somewhat indifferent answer you received when asking about the pricing. Maybe I'm reading something into this, but the attitude I sense from the person on the other end of the phone weighs heavily on my decision to conduct business with any potential vendor.
abtech- You hit this one dead on. You didn't read into it at all you just basically described my whole experience. Very intuitive! Thanks for understanding where I'm coming from :thumb:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top