Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was on my way home, on my blade, when the lights turned amber, i hit the brakes because someone in the opposite direction was about to turn across my path! i sh$t myself, and as i tried to jump down to first, it didnt want to go in, and went into neutral... so here i was sliding through the intersection, because both my tires locked up. i think it might have been oil on the road. me and the bike are in one piece! i was doin about 50kmph

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
You're supposed to hit the brakes when the light turns amber - that's what amber means :)
Glad you're okay :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Good to hear nothing happened and I am sure it will make you think twice about blowing through a yellow next time.

I stop for the yellow if there is noone right behind me. It is safer to wait the 2 minutes for the light then go through and have someone jump the gun going the other way and T bone you.

·
Registered
514 Posts
let me get this straight.

you were going so fast that both tires were completely locked and you slid (upright!) through the entire distance of an intersection?

i don't think so.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
let me get this straight.

you were going so fast that both tires were completely locked and you slid (upright!) through the entire distance of an intersection?

i don't think so.
it was a double intersection, with a medium in the middle, i slid through the first one, believe it or not, and i have no friken idea how i kept it up! i dont care, im here, and so is my bike...

And yep, new tires are on there way as we speak!

·
Registered
55 Posts
You're lucky. A workmate of mine slid through an intersection yesterday, on his arse and under a car. Wasn't wearing any gear except helmet. They reckon he won't be at work for a while.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Book yourself in for some advanced rider training as well as getting new tyres.

If you are emergency braking you shouldn't be touching the clutch or gears until you are virtually stopped. A proper emergency stop will pull you up from 60km/h in a few meters. A poorly executed stop, messing with the gears and skidding will get you (or the bike) killed one day.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I did that at a light right in front of a cop(he was the cause actually)..Needless to say he pulled me over and said next time keep going.If a car was behind you couldve been killed.That was amost 14 years ago on a cb900 ad Ill never forget it.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
If there was oil or fuel on the road, it would serve as something we call "Summer Ice". It wouldnt really matter if you had a new set / used tyres, they would still lock. Alot of riders get killed on roads in England as people are not careful when they are filling up, especially truckers (no offense)

Im glad you are ok, i lost my blade as a result of a woman coming out of a parking space, and then deciding she wants to brake, and go back into the space she pulled out from. The bike went down - dont know what happened and it slid on the crash bung. The only damage it would have sustained was a scratched up mirror and broken indicator, but it went into her tow-ball and smashed the front end in :( Was only doing bout 30mph, wet road.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Once my bike went into a slight sideways drift over a long patch of spilled fuel on a straight highway. No traction at all. If I went into a slide, I'd be on my side. Since then, I've always looked at dark spots on the road as pure evil.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Book yourself in for some advanced rider training as well as getting new tyres.

If you are emergency braking you shouldn't be touching the clutch or gears until you are virtually stopped. A proper emergency stop will pull you up from 60km/h in a few meters. A poorly executed stop, messing with the gears and skidding will get you (or the bike) killed one day.
yea im gona go do one of those at phillip island soon, as a birthday present.
thought my quick thinking would do the job, i was on the ball, trying to get both the engine and brakes to stop the bike.

i honestly dont know how i kept it up, might be a sign, who knows...

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Phillip Island is FAST!
If you haven't done track days at other circuits you might spend most of the day just trying to get your mind around the speed. Turn two is my favourite turn but from Honda to Lukey is great fun. In an _emergency_ stop forget the gears and rear brake. Get that front tyre squashed hard into the road and concentrate on getting as close to lock up as you can get it. As long as you're vertical locking it up does not dictate you'll crash but it will hinder your ability to stop while you ease off and get back on it again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Phillip Island is FAST!
If you haven't done track days at other circuits you might spend most of the day just trying to get your mind around the speed. Turn two is my favourite turn but from Honda to Lukey is great fun. In an _emergency_ stop forget the gears and rear brake. Get that front tyre squashed hard into the road and concentrate on getting as close to lock up as you can get it. As long as you're vertical locking it up does not dictate you'll crash but it will hinder your ability to stop while you ease off and get back on it again.
i have been around there in a ferrari, and turn 2 is also my favourite, i love how as you come around you start to see the bay. ive heard it is tricky on a bike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts