Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night swapped the antifreeze out of my 04 CBR1000 for the first time since i bought it in 2012. The bike has about 9,000 miles on it. The owner before me swapped out in 2007. In the first few seconds of flow out of the drain plug in the coolant pump, the antifreeze was a dark brown; once the flow got started, it was the typical bright green. Also, when draining the reservoir the antifreeze was bright green until the last maybe inch, which was then a milky white/brown. Could this been a blown head gasket? If so, how immediately should I fix it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am not wise enough to know for sure, but you can just google "how to tell if I have a blown head gasket" and there are a bunch of different tests you can do to determine if you do. I got an oxidation tester kit from amazon for 30 bucks a few years ago to test an old 83 XR600 and it was pretty easy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Check your spark plugs for discoloration (White crusty) or smell the exhaust and see if it smells sweet like Antifreeze. Also check the oil to see if its light brown like a starbucks latte color if so, you have a problem.

Has it over heated on you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I might have heard if ur coolant levels are full and u take the top off the radiator and it bubbles while running there is a problem.. I'm not positive. I had old ninja and that's the info I was given. My bike would overheat and I was told 2 look for the bubbles. It turned out 2 be the thermostat. Obviously if u let ur bike run it will heat up and overflow...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the rub, the bike has never had overheating problems, and the oil is always clean when I change it every year. I have a magnaflow exhaust on it and a power command so sometimes you can see a little black smoke but never white except in the cold, but all of that is typical. The only sign of a leaking head gasket I can find is maybe a few mL of white sludge in the antifreeze. I have not checked the plugs or see if bubbles come out of the reservoir.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Get a proper test kit, they are brilliant, takes the guess work out of it.

Two classic signs are white smoke from the exhaust and loosing water. Not loosing water the you don't have a problem but using water can be leaks or thermostat.

Pete

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as i can tell, it is not losing water or oil, but if it is not a head gasket what could cause the discoloration? I was hoping maybe just rust or something.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As far as i can tell, it is not losing water or oil, but if it is not a head gasket what could cause the discoloration? I was hoping maybe just rust or something.

I'd say its just some muck hanging around in there. The fact that it came out at the end indicates that.

If the bike is running ok, not losing water and the oil is clean everythinng is ok!

Best wishes

Pete

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm hoping thats the case. I've heard its a real pain to swap an head gasket and I wouldn't want to do it on my own bike for the first time. I just bought a "Lisle 75500 Combustion Leak Detector" on amazon for $35.00. My only fear is cooking the bearings if coolant gets into the oil. I have a big ride coming up this weekend but the testor comes in next Wednesday, shouldn't be a big issue to take it for the weekend no?

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's also not uncommon for oil to seep past the waterpump oil seal, The pump is shaft driven from the engine case and there is an oil seal that keeps oil out of the cooling system. Maybe start there?
Sounds like it's nothing major ride for the summer then deal with it in the Winter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Won't be oil. Because when oil is circulated through water or anti freeze you see that the colour will be a more milky swirl. My guess is that that coolant hasn't been changed for donkeys years and just needs a good flush to kill the algae that came out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts