Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.. I have a quick Bolt/Slip-On question.. Recently I installed a Termignoni Bolt-On Exhaust on my 1000RR, and now I have a slight hesitation/roughness up to about 3kRPM.. Since the Bolt-On kit eliminated the stock exhaust valve, it seems that this RPM area is exactly where the valve was utilized with the stock system.. -Has anyone else had this sort of "hesitation" with aftermarket exhausts (removing the exhaust valve)?.. Searching around, it seems as though most Slip/Bolt-On systems don't require any map alterations..

Basically, I'm wondering if a PCIII map/dyno-tune would correct this problem and/or compensate for lost backpressure.. Also, if anyone might know of a "quick" fix for this issue without having to re-map (outside of simply raising the idle)..

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm a big proponent of the PCIII - I have one on my 02 945 with Erion slip-on and it made a huge difference for my set-up - the PCIII fixed the snatchiness at throttle on/off and smoothed out the torque curve nicely. I'm using it with the Erion slip-on map provided on the dynojet web site. I personally consider the PCIII a must if you're modding any part of the intake/exhaust system.

When I have the funds, I'm going to have a custom map made by dynojet in NV.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yep. The flapper mod may HELP smooth it out, but the bike's air/fuel will still be out. Pipe manufacturers saying that their slip ons don't need mapping, is like the bike manufactures saying the same thing. And mapping a stock bike will give you the same benefits as with a pipe and again with a system. You may get away with not mapping it, but the bike will be WAY better once it's mapped correctly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the feedback.. Sounds like the PCIII would definitely be a good thing.. just trying to keep the mod expenses down a bit for now..

The flapper mod did smooth things out quite a bit.. but still has a tiny bit of stutter down low, much better though.. I was thinking about installing K&N air filters to further help.. --Would there be any danger of running too lean when disabling the flapper and/or adding K&N Filters??

--Funny thing about the flapper mod though.. It was a little "too easy" ..wound up pulling on the hose a bit too hard and the diaphragm valve came out with the hose --I figured that the valve would have been mounted a bit more securely, but learned the hard way that it's just hanging in there with a clip..

Before I open up the airbox and completely remove the flapper intake valve, was just wondering if there would be any reason to leave the flapper functional..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts