Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed a small leak like a microscopic leak coming from the bearing that surrounds the shift linkage, I notice it has a holder of some sort? i'm thining about loosening the holder and slightly tapping the bearing in?good idea or no? I looked through the manuel but had no luck finding this ? going to look again!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Just noticed a small leak like a microscopic leak coming from the bearing that surrounds the shift linkage, I notice it has a holder of some sort? i'm thining about loosening the holder and slightly tapping the bearing in?good idea or no? I looked through the manuel but had no luck finding this ? going to look again!
Bearing?
I think you mean the oil seal around the shift shaft?
I don't know if it's possible to replace the seal without opening the engine but I would assume you can.
If there's room you could try gluing another seal over the leaking one with silicone. I did this on a VTR250 (which requires splitting the engine to get the old seal out) and it worked just fine. As far as I know it's still working fine but the guy I did it for sold the bike a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was a bearing by the looks of it, so the only way to replace this seal is to open the engine? or just a case on that side here's a pic of what im talking about...

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't just take off the I'm going to call it a seal holder(? shaped part with the screw) and pull out the seal and replace it?????:mad:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I thought it was a bearing by the looks of it, so the only way to replace this seal is to open the engine? or just a case on that side here's a pic of what im talking about...
I don't know as I haven't had to do one on these engines but if it has a clamp to keep it in then I would assume you can dig it out and replace it without opening the engine.
It does look like there's plenty of room to put another seal over the leaking one if you prefer to but you'd have to put a spacer on the clamp bolt so it clamps on the new seal.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay did my research its a seal that can be taken out from the outside of the block, I just need to remove the ? mark shaped holder pull the old seal and replace with the new here are pics of the seal it cost $2.95

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Okay did my research its a seal that can be taken out from the outside of the block, I just need to remove the ? mark shaped holder pull the old seal and replace with the new here are pics of the seal it cost $2.95
Not a lot of meat in that seal so let us know if you manage to dig it out without removing the shaft.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All done, I was procrastinating, got it done this morning, the seal comes out with easy, and not allot of oil was lost changing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts