Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone driven an SMG equipped car.....opinions?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
you mean like a ferrari or a beemer gearbox??

From the sounds of things, its as good as a true manual with no lost clutch time during shifts...

That what you mean?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hmmmm.....is somebody looking at an E46 perhaps? I haven't heard of any systemic problems with it. And I think we got their second generation SMG II didn't we? There's a little comfort in getting the second go 'round.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zackly.....

Trying to compromise with the old battleaxe....she wants an auto, and I want a car that I can do an occasional track day with.....

Educate me a bit on this 2nd gen thing....were there probs with the 1st?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I haven't seen many specifics on SMG vs. SMG-II other than 'A' automated mode on the SMG-II was 'E' economy mode on SMG. Does that help? I have however seen many references to SMG-II being 'significantly' more refined than the first generation. We got the SMG-II only though, so you don't need to worry about model years for getting version I or II. They're all SMG-II's here in the states. If you get one I'll be extremely jealous. The E46 M3 and M5 are on my list of 'if I could have ANY car.'

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've driven a Ferrari and a M3 with it and the Ferrari's sucks big time. I don't know how it would do on the track but in traffic the stall is so high that it's terrible to drive in traffic. The BMW's was much better and a bit faster in it's shifts once you hit the paddle. It revs the motor for you during downshifts so that they are smooth as butter entering a corner. Not like the automatics that lock up tires when the downshift kicks in. The only bad part was when it's in automatic mode it shift pretty rough. It's definitely a sports car and not a smooth cruiser.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OntheEdge : The only bad part was when it's in automatic mode it shift pretty rough. It's definitely a sports car and not a smooth cruiser.
Did you happen to drive it in the automatic 'economy' mode....was wondering if it was a good compromise....?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Baketech : Quote (OntheEdge @ Sep. 21 2003, 2:26pm)The only bad part was when it's in automatic mode it shift pretty rough. It's definitely a sports car and not a smooth cruiser.
Did you happen to drive it in the automatic 'economy' mode....was wondering if it was a good compromise....?
The only difference to the economy mode was the shift rpm. Otherwise it still shift kind hard. It's like having a shift kit in regular auto. Don't get me wrong I'd own it in a second but I'm still living with my 98 M3 for a little while more.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tried that....they didn't have an SMG on the floor...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Damn. I thought you were talking about a sub machine gun equiped car.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had one at the shop for a weekend and I was very impressed. We were trying to find fault with the car and beating the hell out of it, but it was great. SMG rocks, there is enough adjustment to make the S.O. happy around town and let you have fun too. I also think the traction control is the best I've seen also, You never really noticed it working, unlike other systems.

I just drove the RS6 and E55 back to back and those are some bad rides too.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I'll just chime in with a bit of disagreement here. The 360's system shifts magnificently, espescially when in sport mode.
I can't really answer about the BMW system, though.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I agree w/ BDA on the 360. That is an awesome package that I'll never own, but not an everyday commuter car. The one I drove is owned by the same guy that just bought the RS6 and E55. I'm thinking of moving my install bay to his driveway to save time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts