Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used a clear visor, but after a long sunny day my face is really sunburnt. Is this effect lessened with a smoked visor? How about those so-called amber Hi-def ones?

( I had a mirrored type once, but I found it to be distracting because it would occasionally relect back into my face, maybe because of my glasses)

Thanks

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I get less face burn with my smoked screen...rarely ever put my clear one in any more... :twocents:

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I imagine "dark" smoked is more effective?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I've been putting amber fog shield inserts in my visors for years. I've tried dark smoke, but don't like them.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I use dark smoke so I don't have to deal with sunglasses under the helmet. I think the dark smoke helps some with sunburn, but the shields (Arai at least) aren't rated to block UV like sunglasses are. I will still burn with a dark shield, so I always gob on the sunscreen before heading out.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
I use dark smoke so I don't have to deal with sunglasses under the helmet. I think the dark smoke helps some with sunburn, but the shields (Arai at least) aren't rated to block UV like sunglasses are. I will still burn with a dark shield, so I always gob on the sunscreen before heading out.
+1 on sunglasses and my regular glasses block UV, not sure on the sunburn I don't track that much.

The other thing that I like better on a shield vs sunglasses is when you look out the corner you have tint so there is only the difference in focus :idunno:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Silver Mirror in the day and clear at night. Does anyone else use the "Sheild Sack" for carrying a spare? I have for a couple of years and it works great, especially if you get caught out later than you thought:cool:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I use dark smoke in the day and switch to my clear at night. Never have had sunburn when riding. I will put my clear on in the afternoon if I know it will be dark by the time I come home cause you can get ticketed for wearing a dark shield at night here even though I feel I can see fine at night with it.

I too used to use a chrome mirrored visor but at times when the sun was low in the sky it seemed to reflect it back in my face real bad(I don't wear glasses) so it had to go. Didn't like trying to negotiate the mountain roads and having major glare in my eyes in the middle of a turn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts