Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, its been a long time. I've got an 05 1000RR 14000 miles with an akropovic race full exhaust and the rest stock. The bike has been freaking amazing! i was doing some assertive country road riding with my wife riding behind me and she noticed an unusual amount of smoke coming from my exhaust. Has anyone else noticed this or do you think I have a problem with my bike? Last oil change was 2000 miles ago and using Castrol Activo synthetic oil. Other then the smoke the bike is running perfectly.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
You need to determine if it is smoking while accellerating or decellerating. Also, is the smoke white or brown or blue?
Does it have a sweet smell?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The smoke was on decelleration and it was whitish/gray, not sure if there was an odor with it. I have checked the bike for leaks and found nothing. I'm thinking it may be due to carbon build up because this was only after a really hard high speed run. Time to change the spark plugs?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I had the same problem at Gratan. took the air filter out when I came back to find out they where quite oily... I think I put a little too much oil the last time I changed it. I changed it again recently but I don't know if it help.... would need someone to follow me for a ride.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
a friend noticed mine did that shortly before I did my last oil change and it went away after that. I have a freind who's a honda tech, and actually knows his stuff; and his first reaction when told about it was "time to change the oil"

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
The smoke was on decelleration and it was whitish/gray, not sure if there was an odor with it. I have checked the bike for leaks and found nothing. I'm thinking it may be due to carbon build up because this was only after a really hard high speed run. Time to change the spark plugs?
Only on decell is a classic valve guide seal problem.

The whitish grey conserns me a bit. Try to get a smell of it. If it is sweet smelling, it is a indicator of coolant leaking into your exhaust through the head gasket.

If it were brown smoke, it is an indicator of too rich fuel mixture.

Blue smoke = oil. It can also be confused with whitish gray.

Coolant is usually a briliant billowy white.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had the same problem at Gratan. took the air filter out when I came back to find out they where quite oily... I think I put a little too much oil the last time I changed it. I changed it again recently but I don't know if it help.... would need someone to follow me for a ride.

The passenger sure does have some bad-ass leathers and boots :rotfl:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent comments guys. I think I'll change the oil and air filter and see if the smoke continues. If it does then I will look into the at the head gasket.

I only have 2 more months until my warranty expires so I have to find the problem sooner then later, but with the way the bike is running I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the motor. After all it is a honda. ;)

Thanks again for the help!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
my 02 954 (with 5500mi) puts out a little puff of white smoke when its cold. I think that it is just moisture. If I put my hand over the tailpipe for a few seconds, my hand gets moist, and it doesnt smell like gas, oil, or coolant after it warms up, I only get a small puff of light light gray smoke when I open the throttle all the way (so I'm told) by a buddy following me. I think it might be a tad rich right now because I am experimenting with different FI maps for the PCIIIUSB. Another thing to think about, if you have your PAIR valve removed or modified, you might see more blue unburnt fuel smoke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Honda Dealer. I have a smoking problem. Help me stop.

Come on :eek:
If this is somthing serious then I will absolutely contact my dealer. I've been riding hondas since 1989 and they have never let me down. Remember you get a 1 year warranty for reason. :)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
You can buy 4 more years for a reason too...

mine was smoking a bit again today and I think it's running rich. it only seems to be doing it on these 90+ degree days. Thinking I might reconnect the flapper and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I changed the oil and replaced the air filters and all is good. The air filter was pretty dirty so I figure that was the problem. :)

Again thanks for the great advice.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
my 02 954 (with 5500mi) puts out a little puff of white smoke when its cold. I think that it is just moisture. If I put my hand over the tailpipe for a few seconds, my hand gets moist, and it doesnt smell like gas, oil, or coolant after it warms up, I only get a small puff of light light gray smoke when I open the throttle all the way (so I'm told) by a buddy following me. I think it might be a tad rich right now because I am experimenting with different FI maps for the PCIIIUSB. Another thing to think about, if you have your PAIR valve removed or modified, you might see more blue unburnt fuel smoke.
Yea, I noticed a lot of moisture before my custom map, apparently it's setup very rich from the factory.

I would lean to what nedro was stating, it just seems odd that just an oil change and filter would resolve white-ish/blue smoke coming from the exhaust. I guess maybe if it was over-filled with oil, but just changing the air filter? I'd also make sure the spark plugs haven't loosened up in there.

If it worked, great, it just doesn't make sense to me how a simple oil change would fix this, especially coming from a highly qualified Honda technician. :idunno:

·
Registered
925 Posts
85% of the 04/05 CBRs I have seen at the track smoke, some people notice it, most dont. Usually from off throttle to on. Theories abound--the bikes that have been inspected have generally piston scuffing--its kind of a bad joke about Hondas at the track. Seems they fixed this issue in 06

1 - 18 of 18 Posts