Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i changed the cam sensor on my 954 and snapped the bolt which holds it to the cylinder head :( there is nothing protruding to get a hold of. Any ideas welcome? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
hi all, i changed the cam sensor on my 954 and snapped the bolt which holds it to the cylinder head :( there is nothing protruding to get a hold of. Any ideas welcome? thanks.

Punch it flat, centre punch it, drill it out. A left-handed drill bit might draw it out as you drill it, otherwise you'll have to use an EZout or screw extractor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate. I've seen vids on you tube of people doing this but not on bikes and that precise area.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Thanks mate. I've seen vids on you tube of people doing this but not on bikes and that precise area.

Thanks again

I doubt it's going to be much fun but you should be able to get to it reasonably well - just be patient, careful and take your time.
Worst case you might have to completely drill it out and either Helicoil it or tap it for an M8 bolt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it wasn't much fun, ha. Think I'll have to drill it out completely like you have said. What's the best way to go about this.? Should I buy a helicoil repair kit from ebay? What size.? Sorry if this is sounding dumb but it's completely alien to me, don't suppose I could just put a self tapping bolt in it could I.?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers kev but what the guys says at 4.26 ish in the video pretty much sums up my saturday afternoon. Thanks for link though. Seen the same guy fitting helicoil so might try this now.
Just want to add that it was actually a local mechanic that put the cam sensor on and I think he forgot the o ring so the bike was spotting oil I tightened the bolt a couple of times over the next few days to stop the spotting and eventually bolt snapped. :crying:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
broken bolts are always a pain in the rear. i was helping a guy replace a blown head gasket one time on his truck n i went to the parts store in the middle of the the project n while i was gone he had tightened 4 of the head bolts using ft lbs on the torque wrench when it was suppose to be set on inch lbs. lol so it snapped all 4 off in the block before he thought to stop n wait for me to get back. wow that was a real challenge getting them all out! i had to use several methods. just takes a llt of patients.

if you drill it out start with a small bit n work your way up. try n make sure you get it started in the center. drill it out as close to the threads in the hole as you can n then run a tap in it n you can probably get away with not needing a helicoil. you can get a cheap tap set for about 15 bucks. itll pull whats left out of the hole. you just gotta go slow n take your time. i would buy the left handed drill bit first because lots of times it will pull them pull them out with a little coaxing. good luck with it man

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha ha its a pain in the ass but it's experience in the bank I suppose. Bought a helicoil thread repair kit for an m8 bolt comes with drill bit but I'll take your advice and start with a small bit and work up to the one with the kit. Probly try the left hand bit first though. Man I love my 954 but I also hate the bastard equally, with scars to prove it.

Cheers kev

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
i feel ya. i just had a get off that required a metal plate be inserted in my wrist! short of death or loosing two appendages i dont think you could keep me off one!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Ha ha its a pain in the ass but it's experience in the bank I suppose. Bought a helicoil thread repair kit for an m8 bolt comes with drill bit but I'll take your advice and start with a small bit and work up to the one with the kit. Probly try the left hand bit first though. Man I love my 954 but I also hate the bastard equally, with scars to prove it.

Cheers kev

Isn't it an M6 bolt though?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:rotfl: yes it is an m6 bolt had to reorder a new kit. Fitted the helicoil last night 15 minute piece of cake. all sorted now. Cheers fellas:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts