Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions from anyone here that may have some good experience with something solid and relatively easy to setup (Windows 2k3 server OS btw).

We're currently using MGsofts Trap Ringer pro, but it likes to go silent every few hours or X amount of traps. It still collects them but ceases email notification. The service doesen't error out it just stops smtp'ing mail :huh:

I have tried a few 'network monitoring' suites (WhatsUp , NetOpTools) and they are either too thick or don't want to deal with custom v2/v3 mib's. I've used Openview back in the day but it was more polling then trap receipt that we dealt with, and the license for the suite was also buku bucks so I haven't even investigated that path this time around.

Any input appreciated...I figure there's a few of you on here that do this terrific stuff.

And as a second, I'm looking to put some SNMP traps on an XP Workstation running a java app, I can get the app and everything config'd properly in the event tools but haven't gotten it to fly yet (still working on it in spare time). But honestly have never setup an actual trap notification event on a Win32 workstation - so if anyone out there has a cheat sheet or a link to one or some info, please feel free to share.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Not to rain on your parade too much, but if this is a critical monitoring app the very first thing you need to do is dump Windows. There is a reason every enterprise class monitoring suite runs on some version of Unix.

If you don't want something as robust/expensive as OpenView or NetCool, you could always go with a Linux or BSD box running Net-SNMP. It's a library set that includes a trap receiver daemon that can hand off the trap to a perl or shell script that could very easily mail, page, fax, or SMS you (or any other notification method you can think of). That could run on basic hardware and not have any issues for years. It's all open source, which has the side benefit of being absolutely free. It supports custom MIBs as well using v2 or v3, and is compatible with both IPv4 and IPv6.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No surprises there doc, unfortunately I realize the situation is going to be as follows:

-1- remove windows belgian waffle maker from receipt duty.

-2- hork a 2850 redhat box onto our external snmp port, install real snmp package (thanks for the ref - I will dig into that for ccccertain)

-3- enable forwarding on RH box over to 'pretty' current crap-tastic trap ringer.

-4- "show" the snmp stuff at a high level to those on our intranet via the MGsloth, and actually DO it with the black & red box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts