Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

So! Anybody thinking of switching to S1000RR?

21K views 204 replies 37 participants last post by  jkim 
#1 ·
Much as I adore my Blade, I must admit to being quite fascinated by the new Beemer S1000RR sportsbike.

The traction control and ABS magic seem spiffy and given the way reviewers are impressed with the bike itself, maybe it's time for a switch?

Or is this just because I am a bit old?:rotfl:

Anybody ridden the "S"?

#25 ·
When I saw the new Beemer at the Expo last year I was expecting it to jump out and grab me by the balls if you know what I mean, but it did'nt. It might be a different story after a test ride on one with all the bells and whistles who knows.
Now the KTM RC8 is a different baby. After sitting on and looking at one I want one of those.

#30 ·
The BMW has some nice suspension adjustments on it, apparently it's really easy to adjust and the handbook has a whole list of settings so you just look up what you want and hey presto!

The BMW isn't a bad looking bike (although the exhaust box us ugly) - but for me it's just a bit too 'samey' - but hey what does it matter, I'm not buying one!

#32 ·
I like the idea of owning a BMW S1000R but the reality is that it doesnt really do anything my 09 Repsol cant do. The reviews say the Honda still blows it out of the water in pure handling and since I'm not able to ride 10/10ths yet that added power is just another thing I would have to think about. Plus TC and ABS even as options are one of those things that I'm not that interested in yet.

If I had to choose another bike to have in my garage with my Repsol it would definitely be the Aprilia RSV4 Factory, the V4 is a different engine that actually requires you to change how you ride if youre used to I4's since the power curve is more like a 600, in other words all the power comes on at about 9500 rpm and you have to be smart to keep it in the power...not to mention how that power comes on, feels almost like a 2 stroke coming into its powerband (maybe not as harsh).

Plus I hate to say it but park an aprilia next to the BMW and see which bike people are more interested in (cant count all the people that would say something about the stupid headlights on the BMW).

Ultimately though, I am seriously going to buy ANOTHER CBR1000RR to be my dedicated track bike this year, its too good, really cheap, and the aftermarket support is pretty huge, not to mention that one of the local bike tuner shops races CBR1000RR's in every class so they know the bike pretty well which helps me in the long run.

#38 ·
Too true Gerd.

There again I test rode an R1 with no intention of buying one. Just wondered what all the fuss was about. They are now £12,500 in the UK (approx $21k).

The beemer is about the same price here ( the fancy version )

#42 ·
Current UK OTR prices.

Yamaha YZFR1 - £12,500
Honda CBR1000RR - £10,321 + £600 for C-ABS version.
Suzuki GSXR1000 - £10209
Kawasaki ZX10R - £10,209

Ducati 1198 - £13,295
Aprilia RSVR - £12,743
KTM RC8 - £12,595
BMW S1000RR - £12,500 (All extra’s fitted)
BMW S1000RR - £11,190

Who in their right mind is going to buy an R1 at that price? Actually the BMW basic model looks like the best value, local dealership have a demonstrator and they were pushing my brother to take it out on a test. (He was working at the time, AA patrol and had no helmet etc with him)

If I was spending £12,500 (Which I ain't) I think I'd push a bit extra and buy an RSVR Aprilia.

Slightly off topic - seen the full range of colours in the 2010 Blades for the first time yesterday. As someone who bought an RR9 in August I'm really pleased as visually there is very little difference. The new exhaust should sort out the whitening problem but as I've went to an aftermarket that doesn't matter diddly, only other change as far as I can see is a white rear light lens. I'm probably biased but I prefer my HRC colour to the new version as its a bit more garish.

Like I said pleased because my bike will look current for another two years now ... :thumb:

#43 ·
I was poised to buy a 2010, unitl I saw the changes.

Not a fan of the new colours or graphics TBH.

I smiled because I thought Honda dropped a clanger when they stopped the black and white bike. Strange how they resurrected it for 2010, they obviously realised what a b0ll0ck they had dropped.

Personally I hope Yam lose a load of cutomers as their price hike is disgusting. When spending £12.5k on a bike, you should be buying something more "exotic" in my book.

The beemer definitely offers a choice. The RSV4 is lovely, but I'm too tall and my previous experience of Ape ownership was terrible.

#44 ·
Personally I hope Yam lose a load of cutomers as their price hike is disgusting. When spending £12.5k on a bike, you should be buying something more "exotic" in my book
Did you get a copy of his weeks MCN splatty?

They say apparently all the Japanese companies in the UK market have exchange rate double trouble in the form of, Pound-Euro and then Euro-Yen. They reckon Yamaha have been the first to act (See below) but that the other Japanese manufacturers are expected to raise their prices before the end of spring. The c-abs Blade costs nearly £11,000 with price rise still to come!

From the prices in my post above more 'exotic' machinery from Europe suddenly seems 'affordable' and good value. The brother has seen the BMW in the flesh and says it looks stunning from the front and rear, not so keen on the shark fin sides, the basic version does look like good value. I've always said the day I consider a BMW is the day I'll pack it in, that was before the S1000RR - still meh! its a kraut mobile :rotfl:

Yamaha have supposedly lost £1.2 billion pounds in the first nine months of this financial year. They are currently producing their least number of bikes for forty years, the lowest number of the big four Japanese companies and less than half the number Suzuki produce. To compound their problems their new CEO has resigned after a short time in the job.

#46 ·
Hi tully

No, I don't normally buy MCN mate as they tend to be a bit biased in reviews by who allegedly pays them most.

I asked my dealer a couple of weeks ago, and they said they thought the Blade price was "relatively" fixed now. Suppose it can change at short notice though.

Saying that, I paid £8495 for mine when they first came out against an RRP of £9321. Can't pay too much attention to list price I suppose.

I'm going to take a look at the Beemer just to see how it looks in the flesh.

As for Yam, £12,495 for an R1 that will definitely need £1000 of aftermarket exhausts. I don't think so, that is RSV4 money. Nice planning Mr Yamaha !!

#48 ·
If you get the opportunity definitely ride one, it really disappears under you it feels lighter than the Honda and turns just as well if not better than my 09. I want the Factory mostly because of the exclusivity of the bike aka, wont see many of them out on the road.

I am however unable to get one this year but next year may prove to be more agreeable to me getting one...that being said I'm currently looking for an 08 1000RR to put in my garage to get chopped up and turned into a true track bike, seen some awesome deals (missed out on an 08 Silver/Black with 2300 miles for $6100 USD) so I'm waiting til I get my tax return before buying one ;)

#50 ·
I bought my non-ABS '09 in April 2009 for £ 9721, which was sticker at the time. If you took advantage of the 42 month 0% interest deal, they weren't dealing on the price at all.

I did that - heck, no interest and finish paying it off in inflated then-year pounds, I couldn't be bothered to take the money out of the bank.

As intrigued as I am by the S1000RR, and how BMW has seemed to leap ahead light-years in sportsbike terms, I'm pretty happy with the Blade.

I was out Sunday for a blat. The roads were wet and temp was just above freezing, but the bike is so well-behaved and balanced even in those kinds of conditions! Even when you break the rear loose on the power, it does just what you would expect it to, no drama.

#53 ·
As intrigued as I am by the S1000RR, and how BMW has seemed to leap ahead light-years in sportsbike terms, I'm pretty happy with my blade.
I don't think I would measure it in lightyears, in fact I wouldn't even say years. The bike is good no doubt but all they did was start with advanced Japanese current sportbike technology eg: frame and engine configuration, and dump loads of BMW R&D from F1 and we have a machine that is at the top in it's class. An article I just read in Inside Motorcycles said it's not as nimble in the tight stuff as the Honda. Gives the Japanese a new target to work on.

#60 ·
Isn't it just such a shame that a lot of folks think that more power= the better bike.I sold my beloved,completely carboned and more powerfull GSXR 1000 K6 to buy my '08 blade which is in the real world is a much better road bike.However i do like the look of the bemmer but despite its horsepower advantage at the top end only,will it be as smooth and as polished a performer as the '08 ? I doubt it,will it be faster ? almost certainly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.