Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
:welcome: ask away - tell us a bit more about yourself - the more info we have the more likely we can help!

The usual recommendations are the 650 twins - e.g. Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki ER-6, that type of thing. The 4-cly 600s are good too, Honda Hornet, Yamaha Fazer, Suzuki Bandit. A CBR600F is a good sports bike choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive never had a bike. I want one for my own personal satisfaction. I'm 29 a have a level head on my shoulders and i would like it to stay there. I'm 6'2 200lbs. The bike that caught my eye at first was a cbr600rr is that wishful thinking for a first timer

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Ive never had a bike. I want one for my own personal satisfaction. I'm 29 a have a level head on my shoulders and i would like it to stay there. I'm 6'2 200lbs. The bike that caught my eye at first was a cbr600rr is that wishful thinking for a first timer
Not necessarily - but remember the 600 was designed to perform on a track and so is quite small and the riding position is track based i.e. arse up/head down. That said, we all find different things comfortable, and I have never ridden a 600RR so I can only go on what I have read.

The 600F is more road oriented - they made a 600FS for a short while that looks a bit sportier. I would say it's a better road bike. But hey, people have started out on much more severe bikes than a 600RR. If you get the opportunity, try one out and see if you like it.

·
Premium Member
9,087 Posts
The bike that caught my eye at first was a cbr600rr is that wishful thinking for a first timer
:hmm::hmm: there plenty of people who've learned on a 600.....

have you had any experience? do you drive? all sortsa things can make a difference to what would be suitable......

i'd have loved a 600 to learn on and would like to claim I'd have been alright*... you got a bike in mind?

*although in truth it woulda been rapped around a tree:evilaugh:

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
what about height. doesn't that play a roll
Yes it does, but then Honda have a talent for making bikes that suit a wide range of people. I'm a little shorter than you (6'1) but about 30lbs heavier, I would struggle with a 600RR - but I have bad knees and back which really doesn't help.

The only way to know for sure is to try one, even sitting on one at a standstill should give you an idea, but ideally you need to take a test ride.

It also depends on the type of riding you intend to do. If it's just short blasts, comfort is less of an issue. If you plan big days out and long overnight trips, comfort becomes a whole lot more important.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: so cal noob wants info

Thanks so much. i have no riding experience so i appreciate all the help. My riding will be a lot of around town. I really only know one person that has a bike but I am not opposed to taking day trips or whatever

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My knowledge is minimal as far as bikes go. for example 4 cyl and 2 or different engine setups v twin an all that. I do drive a manual car. I am pretty sure my capability to learn and understand the bike is there

·
Registered
54 Posts
As a general rule, twins will have less peak power than 4 cylinders of the same displacement, but much more torque at lower rpm. Easier to ride around town, if you don't need to go 170mph.

First thing I tell everyone is to take the MSF riding class. I waited a few years to go through it myself, and I wish I had done it much sooner. After that, just sit on a whole bunch of bikes and see what's comfortable.

One thing I made sure to do was start on a used bike, since it's very likely you'll have a crash in your first year of riding. Happened to me, and it wasn't even my fault.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
is there a huge difference between a 600f and rr. what makes the 600f more road friendly
The 600F is regarded by many as one of the best all-round road bikes ever made! It's just a different bike to the 600RR.

The 600F has a more comfortable, road-oriented riding position. It's still sporty though. You can use them to ride the twisties, tour, commute, go to the shops... whatever. They do go well too - a mate of mine had one, and I couldn't stay with him, even on my 900. IMHO, for road riding the F would be a better bike than the RR. The riding position gives you better forward visibility than the RR, which is worth a lot.

The RR is more track oriented, although it's still a good bike. The riding position would be more compact, focused on getting around a track as fast as possible. Usually this means head down/arse up. The suspension may be a bit harsher (not sure on that though) as tracks are apparently a loit smoother than roads. The engine may deliver its power differently as well - it probably revs higher, meaning you might need to wring its neck a bit more to get in to the powerband.

That said, last time I went to Scotland a lad came on a 600RR and he managed to ride with us OK on it.

However there is also one other important factor - how you feel about the bike. If you went for an F but really wanted an RR, then you might never get rid of that nagging feeling. Bikes are not always bought for the black-and-white figures - emotions play a huge part as well.

Personally, I would go for the F. But that's just me. Whatever one you go for, they are both excellent bikes and will provide you with miles and miles of fun for years to come.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, as much as I like Hondas, I think you might look at an SV650. Or, considering your size, an SV1000. Both are pretty reasonable on cost, and the 1k has adjustable suspension. Neither one will be as aggressive a riding position as full blown supersports or superbikes.

If you want a more sporty machine, you can't go wrong with any recent Japanese 600. Here, I would get a Honda, and probably an F4 or F4i. Every review I've seen say they were the most user friendly and flexible, and I don't go to the track, so that's exactly what I want.

Mind you, once I got used to the power from my SV650, I sold it and bought a CBR929. Then I realized I missed the torque from a twin, and got a Ducati as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.