Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my son did it. He went out and bought himself an R6 (even though I encouraged him not to for a variety of reasons).

He's had some basic instruction in riding (a two day course here in Idaho so that he could get his motorcycle license). He has a small amount of experience as well (rode my 954 quite a bit last fall).

I went through Reg Pridmore's CLASS last year in Portland, which was awesome, but I'm thinking that may be just a bit advanced for him. It might work if there isn't a better alternative.

Does anyone have any suggestions on finding him some quality instruction in southern California in the near future, preferably on a weekend (he's in the military)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
bwhip said:
Well, my son did it. He went out and bought himself an R6 (even though I encouraged him not to for a variety of reasons).

He's had some basic instruction in riding (a two day course here in Idaho so that he could get his motorcycle license). He has a small amount of experience as well (rode my 954 quite a bit last fall).

I went through Reg Pridmore's CLASS last year in Portland, which was awesome, but I'm thinking that may be just a bit advanced for him. It might work if there isn't a better alternative.

Does anyone have any suggestions on finding him some quality instruction in southern California in the near future, preferably on a weekend (he's in the military)?

Thanks!
1. Where is he out here so we have a better chance of getting to him?
2. He most likely knows but socalsportbikes.com has a lot of things going on.
3. There is a post here about the "streets of willow". Nice place to learn but the track has some tricky spots if he doesn't know how to control himself.
4. Keith Code runs a school out of Willow Springs.

THere are people the socal site from all up and down the southern coast, San Diego, Los Angeles, IE, and even China Lake (desert country).

What branch of service and what unit/ship/base is he located.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mojave954 said:
1. Where is he out here so we have a better chance of getting to him?
2. He most likely knows but socalsportbikes.com has a lot of things going on.
3. There is a post here about the "streets of willow". Nice place to learn but the track has some tricky spots if he doesn't know how to control himself.
4. Keith Code runs a school out of Willow Springs.

THere are people the socal site from all up and down the southern coast, San Diego, Los Angeles, IE, and even China Lake (desert country).

What branch of service and what unit/ship/base is he located.
He's a Marine stationed at Twenty-Nine Palms. I'll refer him to socalsportbikes.com. Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
bwhip said:
He's a Marine stationed at Twenty-Nine Palms. I'll refer him to socalsportbikes.com. Thanks!
In addition to running Cal-Sportbike, I run the western region for Sportbike Track Time. We're hosting SoCal Sportbikes' private club day at Pahrump on 5/1.

I thought I'd jump in and give you a little more info....

STT has been running successful track days for several years and will hold nearly 100 events at about 20 tracks across the country this season.

At our 3-group days, the A group is advanced riders, the B group is experienced track riders, and the School Group is a real school with on-track drills and instruction, and off-track seminars and workshop time. We specialize in the first time track riders and those wanting a really low-key environment.

With regard to safety....we run full course control, EMS, and simply don't tolerate jackasses, thus increasing your chances of going home with your plastic intact. People ride with professional demeanor and safety, or they don't ride at our events.

In SoCal, we have several weekend events including Memorial Day Weekend at Pahrump, Fourth of July Monday at WSIR (experienced riders only with 2 groups at 30 min sessions), and Labor Day Weekend at WSIR and more.

You can read about our events at http://www.sportbiketracktime.com

We'd be glad to work with your son and help him get safe, happy, and comfortable on the racetrack.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ever thought of opening shop here in Greece? I think we could use them here as there are no schools :mad: . Just learn from trial and error. Not the best way I know.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Athens954 said:
Ever thought of opening shop here in Greece? I think we could use them here as there are no schools :mad: . Just learn from trial and error. Not the best way I know.
Having been to Athens, It should be more a course on defensive driving. Be careful out there. Used to get scared with the way some people drove, especially the taxi drivers. Once out of the city though, there is some beautiful scenery. Good times in Glyfada (spelling). Flew over the Northern Mountains a few times too, looke like it could be interesting there as well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Mojave954 said:
Having been to Athens, It should be more a course on defensive driving. Be careful out there. Used to get scared with the way some people drove, especially the taxi drivers. Once out of the city though, there is some beautiful scenery. Good times in Glyfada (spelling). Flew over the Northern Mountains a few times too, looke like it could be interesting there as well.
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Nice to see someone appreciates what I go through everyday. Defensive, yes, but you can't always be too defensive or else someone will bump you off the road! eg. Taxi drivers who think they own the road and will blatantly stop without looking who is behind or swooping from the left lane to the right to pick up a passanger etc. You know, I'm sure you have seen it.

So you have to be fairly offensive more than anything else.
I actually live a few kms from Glyfada.

When did you visit?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cal-Sportbike said:
In addition to running Cal-Sportbike, I run the western region for Sportbike Track Time. We're hosting SoCal Sportbikes' private club day at Pahrump on 5/1.

I thought I'd jump in and give you a little more info....

STT has been running successful track days for several years and will hold nearly 100 events at about 20 tracks across the country this season.

At our 3-group days, the A group is advanced riders, the B group is experienced track riders, and the School Group is a real school with on-track drills and instruction, and off-track seminars and workshop time. We specialize in the first time track riders and those wanting a really low-key environment.

With regard to safety....we run full course control, EMS, and simply don't tolerate jackasses, thus increasing your chances of going home with your plastic intact. People ride with professional demeanor and safety, or they don't ride at our events.

In SoCal, we have several weekend events including Memorial Day Weekend at Pahrump, Fourth of July Monday at WSIR (experienced riders only with 2 groups at 30 min sessions), and Labor Day Weekend at WSIR and more.

You can read about our events at http://www.sportbiketracktime.com

We'd be glad to work with your son and help him get safe, happy, and comfortable on the racetrack.

Thanks - I'll definitely check out the website, and pass along the info to Junior! And :welcome: to the .org!

·
Registered
42 Posts
My bf did the California Superbike School with Keith Code , he tells me got all out of it . Him and I both took the Pridmore school in Feb which we both loved , but he said he def got more from Keith Code . I am def taking that one next

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want him to do a school then I booked Pridmores 2 days school at Streets of Willows for $298. First time I did it I never been to the track and was a bit concerned before I got there but it was great. As long as he can ride the bike on the street comfortably then its cool and considering he got it in Feb then he shouldnt have any problems to do this one. I got the deal through www.tracktactics.com (I can say that right?) and they are cool.

So if he havent done it yet or just want more skills I would do that or any other school for that matter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts