Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fundamental subatomic particle, the neutrino, seems to be capable of travelling faster than the speed of light.

If the Gran Sasso results are correct, scientists would have reason to believe that Einstein's of special relativity is wrong. This is troubling, as the theory has been tested countless times in experiments and never disproved.
The trip would take a beam of light around 2.4 milliseconds to complete, but after running the experiment for three years and timing the arrival of 15,000 neutrinos, the scientists discovered that the particles arrived at Gran Sasso 60 billionths of a second earlier, with an error margin of plus or minus 10 billionths of a second.
Since the speed of light in a vaccum is 299,792,458 metres per second, the neutrinos were apparently travelling at 299,798,454 metres per second.

Wooo exciting stuff :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I'm a huge fan of History Channel's, The Universe.
By the end of this century, we probably will have stepped foot on Mars, maybe even built a colony on the Red Planet, or one of its neighboring moons.
If we could cause enough Greenhouse Effect on Mars, like we're trying desperatly NOT to do to planet earth, then Mars would be habitable. It would create a much more dense atmosphere, and temperatures would dramaticaly change to not so extreme cold and hot. Then, just add water...

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a huge fan of History Channel's, The Universe.
By the end of this century, we probably will have stepped foot on Mars, maybe even built a colony on the Red Planet, or one of its neighboring moons.
If we could cause enough Greenhouse Effect on Mars, like we're trying desperatly NOT to do to planet earth, then Mars would be habitable. It would create a much more dense atmosphere, and temperatures would dramaticaly change to not so extreme cold and hot. Then, just add water...
Forgive me but what has this to do with neutrinos? :idunno:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Had a great big bowl of Neutrino's this morning, they were cinnamon apple flavoured. They were delicious.

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Tis true I tell you, anyhoo they never traveled in time in Star Trek.

But if I now had a deloren that would be different :D
:huh: yes they did actually...a quite a few times...someone told me :smilebig:
Had a great big bowl of Neutrino's this morning, they were cinnamon apple flavoured. They were delicious.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: That's ma boy !!! :rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Haha! Another nerd uncovered!
Very cool stuff indeed. One possible theory floating about is that the neutrinos may have changed into another type of neurtino on their way from LHC to Italy. Be interesting to see if the others looking at the info can find errors or if it really was that much faster. If it's true, it just blows things wide open :eek: Cool. Good time to be a nerd.

See, ya gotta come to Canada sometime Setanta, we have the S.N.O. here!
(Sudbury Neutrino Observatory) Not just any ol' hole in the ground.

:rotfl::rotfl:
First of all, you're spelling in Canadian! :thumb::thumb:
And second, did your neutrinos collide with the ones already streaming through your head?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
First of all, you're spelling in Canadian! :thumb::thumb:
And second, did your neutrinos collide with the ones already streaming through your head?
Yes, the spelling and apparently accent (calling the folks back home) have really set in....
And no, my bowl of Cinnamon-Apple Neutrino's were completely isolated to the bowl, of course, the bowl was a vacuum and I had to scarf them rather quickly before they escaped, but indeed, my Neutrino's were delicious :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
2,444 Posts

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha! Another nerd uncovered!
Very cool stuff indeed. One possible theory floating about is that the neutrinos may have changed into another type of neurtino on their way from LHC to Italy. Be interesting to see if the others looking at the info can find errors or if it really was that much faster. If it's true, it just blows things wide open :eek: Cool. Good time to be a nerd.
Yes it does, another theory is that they used another dimension, maybe milk, we will need to consult the expert here :D

See, ya gotta come to Canada sometime Setanta,
Let me know when the big man is on holiday ;) :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts