Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
been having issues with my spark plugs getting fouled out about once a week. its been hard trying to track down how the issue is been happening, but i decided the other day that it was only at small throttle openings, ie, just off closed that it was occuring.

i figured after checking most everyting else, i would try the pilot screws as they supposedly control the very first crack of the throttle. heres what i found.

1- 3.25 turns out
2- 2.8
3- 3.4
4- 3.5

i spoke to dynobike in melbourne and the bloke reckons he starts from 2.25 turns out and goes from there. so thats what i did. (sorry about the decimals, i speak in decimals, im a cnc machinist)

i havent checked the plugs again yet as the bike hasnt been down the street yet, but the adjustments definately havent been detrimental to the engine at all. had to turn idle up about half a turn but thats it. idles fine, crack of the throttle is fine. choke is working somewhat now aswell, it used to just conk the engine out when it got pulled.

my question is, is over a full turn out on the pilot screws a big adjustment? cause like i said, its running perfect atm, and im hoping this was what was causing the problems.

cheers

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
been having issues with my spark plugs getting fouled out about once a week. its been hard trying to track down how the issue is been happening, but i decided the other day that it was only at small throttle openings, ie, just off closed that it was occuring.

i figured after checking most everyting else, i would try the pilot screws as they supposedly control the very first crack of the throttle. heres what i found.

1- 3.25 turns out
2- 2.8
3- 3.4
4- 3.5

i spoke to dynobike in melbourne and the bloke reckons he starts from 2.25 turns out and goes from there. so thats what i did. (sorry about the decimals, i speak in decimals, im a cnc machinist)

i havent checked the plugs again yet as the bike hasnt been down the street yet, but the adjustments definately havent been detrimental to the engine at all. had to turn idle up about half a turn but thats it. idles fine, crack of the throttle is fine. choke is working somewhat now aswell, it used to just conk the engine out when it got pulled.

my question is, is over a full turn out on the pilot screws a big adjustment? cause like i said, its running perfect atm, and im hoping this was what was causing the problems.

cheers
Yep. One turn is big news.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just took it for a bit of a blat around the neighbourhood, obviously couldnt (didnt want to) get to full throttle, but its definatley done something. will check out spark plug colour when she cools off a bit.

its now a bit smoother from the transition from closed to open, and im getting a very small popping on the overrun, so its leaned it off alot i reckon. just got to make sure i dont burn a hole in the pistion now :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts