Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hear feedback from you guys in an attempt to share information among riders about what you learned at the track either about yourself and what your limits were as well as anything you learned about how your bike handles or reacts to certain inputs.

Everyone approaches riding a little diffrently and part of the learning process is to gather information, try and apply that information to your riding and then find out what works for you and what doesn't.

So let's hear it.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Hmmm....

Well, after doing 15 or so laps all by myself in the wet on sunday, I learned there was way more traction in the wet than I ever thought. I was really running as hard on the back section as I did in the dry.

That street tires really are good.

Going into turn 3/4, I don't really have to slow up all that much... (track specific to jennings I know...)

Sliding both tires around turn 1 isn't as freaky as I thought it'd be...

Missing one turn screws you up for the next 2 on a tight track like jennings.

Much more comfortable passing people now, I'm a bit more relaxed with riding in close proximity to other riders, assuming they are predictable...

Will post more... Learned a ton, thats for sure!

Oh yeah, and motards rule!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Learned that I was fastest when I was most relaxed. I can remember blazing (at least for me) through turn 1 and thinking to myself ... Deep Breath, loose grip, look through the turn and feeling like It was all in slow motion.

Also that good lines are everything. Like ccwilli3 said, if you blow one turn, you are screwed for at least the next two.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
times that I thought I couldn't possibly go any faster, the next lap I'd let up on the brakes and go a wee bit faster through that corner... (turn one comes to mind, as does 13/14)

riding with friends is fun, you feed off of each other and when you see them on track, it makes you smile...

getting the start/finish checker'd flag and knowing I had about a half a lap to catch yellar with NH's camera on the back... Catching him at the inside of 3 and have us finish the tight part of the track at a good pace, and getting it all on film.... PRICELESS! I'm still smiling over that one, man was that fun! Nothing really learned other than just riding with a good group of people makes all of the difference!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
i learned that relaxing is a good way control the bike. If you are not as stiff your inputs on the bars will be smoother thus allowing the bike to do what it is made to do - and not fight the rider.

Venom - Yellar and I followed you around on Sunday's second B session and those are the best laps I did all weekend. It was nice to pull in and see that we had a half lap or so on the pack after 5 or 6 laps

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I learned that I really can lean over further than I previously have. And it feels great! I, for the first time in the 7-8 years that I've been doing track days, touched my knee puck on the ground! That was way cool!!! I learned to lean farther and carry more cornerspeed and I hope I can apply it back at my 'home' tracks.

It was great riding with all of you!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
bubba : i learned that relaxing is a good way control the bike.  If you are not as stiff your inputs on the bars will be smoother thus allowing the bike to do what it is made to do - and not fight the rider.

Venom - Yellar and I followed you around on Sunday's second B session and those are the best laps I did all weekend.  It was nice to pull in and see that we had a half lap or so on the pack after 5 or  6 laps
That was fun. The only thing is that I think it was JetBlast..?.. Venom left on Saturday.

Either way he just keep inching up the pace lap after lap as long as we were still on his tail. By the fourth lap we were moving at a respectable pace, dragging knee and bike parts through the tight stuff but still feeling very comfortable. It was a nice line.

On that note. All of the Control Riders did a great job of setting the pace and helping everyone to learn the track and improve on their skills. My hat is off to you guys. All of you did a great job of first learning the skill level of the person in fornt of you and then helping them to improve at a sensible level once you pulled front. I saw a lot of that going on even in the last laps on Sunday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
yes, that was me on Sunday, but on Saturday I learned that Kenny is pretty darn fast and I need to find a few more seconds!

and my forks were set too high and would've eventually washed out the front end under more load. Since been corrected and I expect to find another couple of seconds.

·
Registered
154 Posts
ccwilli3 : getting the start/finish checker'd flag and knowing I had about a half a lap to catch yellar with NH's camera on the back...  Catching him at the inside of 3 and have us finish the tight part of the track at a good pace, and getting it all on film....  PRICELESS!    I'm still smiling over that one, man was that fun!  Nothing really learned other than just riding with a good group of people makes all of the difference!
Hey now.. Wasn't it more like turn 8 or 9 before you could get around me because of the blistering pace I was moving at (wink,wink)

That was fun!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
oopsie. but venom was the one that got me to relax and let the bike work

sorry about that guys

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool....those are the kind of things I was wanting to hear.

Being relaxed on the bike and not feeding input through the bars while cornering is probably one of the hardest things to get people to learn. the only thing that should be controlling your line throught the corner once the bike is tipped in is your throttle hand and the adjustments you make with the throttle hand should be small ones. I followed bubba around for a few laps on Saturday once he had switched to the Aprillia and notice him changing his line in the middle of some corners with bar inputs. This results in instability mid corner where you don't need it. After I pointed this out to him and told him how to correct it you could visibly see over the next few laps his line getting smoother and smoother through the corner. As a result of him getting more and more comfortable mid corner once he was relaxed he began to carry a little more speed which results in increased lean agles and using up more of the tire.

One of the things I hope most of you noticed is there are only 2 corners at Jennings that require heavy use of the brakes. Turn 1 and turn 13 are the only 2 corners that required any serious use of the brakes. Every where else is light to moderate braking.

Jetblast....don't beat yourself up about your lap times. It's always easier at the beginning to take large amounts of time off of your lap times. Once you get to a certain point it becomes harder to keep chipping away full seconds from a lap and you feel like you are struggling to pick up the pace even more. Again the key here is to relax and just keep lapping. At some point you will have to start looking at the bike to drop more time. The limiting factor for me in Florida this weekend was a front end that kept wanting to tuck in the middle of the corner. I know for certain that it was the bike and not me, more specifically an geometry issue with the mixed matched tires I was running. Had I taken the time to sort the problem out instead of just riding then I either would have dropped a little time or just been more confident in the front end of the bike which would have resulted in quicker lap times. The bike will not work perfectly every weekend. Some times you won't work perfectly every weekend. And then there are just times when nothing works and the best call you can make as a rider is to just put the bike back on the trailer. It will come however and one day at that track turning 24's and 25's will be no big deal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I learned it the hard way to relax at the handle bar. Being my first day, my entire $10.00 was devoted to keeping the line. At the technical curvy turns, I probably pressed the left side of the handle bar too tight. My left palm has little sensation since Sunday and it hasn't improved much. So I am thinking of going to the Doc tomorrow. Of course, everyting was a learning experince for me - holding the right line, leaning, relaxing at the bar.
I also learned one vital lesson that is to read the signs of fatigue or lack of concentration and give urself a break. By the end of the firstday, I was pushing my self and as result went out of the track twice. The next day I took it easy and I was riding much faster with greater concentration.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I like to think that I learned a lot. Unfortunately, I've probably already forgotten most of it. Definately what others have mentioned regarding the need to relax. I noticed that as the day wore on that I would start gripping the bars more and more and as I started working harder I was making more and more mistakes. When I followed Phatblock around I noticed that taking the right line made me go substantially faster with half the effort.
I think the biggest lesson learned was that I need to figure out how to lean off the bike more. I thought I was doing ok (never touched my knee down though) until I started scraping the engine cases. Oh well, there's always next time.

Kenny, once again, Thank you for all your help and for coming down to play with us on Saturday.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Things I learned:
-Look through the turn... You really do go where you look.
-Lean off the bike, more than you think
-When getting tired and not doing the above, get off the track and rest
-These bikes are REALLY fast
-You can carry a bunch of speed after turn one all the way into the technical portion and barely need to touch the brakes
-3rd gear is very versatile
-Having a dirty bike is better than no bike at all
-Stay on the line
-Ride at 80%

That is the short list

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
ditto T1...

I agree 100%, I didn't learn it at this event, but at a previous one... Ever how far you *think* you are getting off the bike, go a bit further... THe more the better! If you are dragging parts, GET FURTHER OFF THE BIKE!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
YES! Or if your rear starts to go...

I drug my footpegs the first day and it wasn't because I was Rossi... I got further off the bike and cornered better.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I was just looking for a way to get that black permanent marker off my engine case, is all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think I was draging my foot peg because I wasn't leaning hanging off the bike enough and hence the bike had to lean more. Once I started hanging off more, the bike would stay upright more. This way my knees dragged but the foot pegs didn't. Of course, all this after getting a helpful hint from NHfirefighter.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks to Flasher, Jetblast & Phatblock for all your help!

This was my 2nd & 3rd track day this season and I've been having a slow time getting my crash out of my head. After they worked with me and nudged me along to continue to carry more speed through the corners, I felt much more relaxed on Sunday and had a blast following them around.

Thanks guys for helping me get rid of the cobwebs. Much appreciated! I'm hoping to continue with that this weekend if our trackdays don't get rained out.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
gautamde : I think I was draging my foot peg because I wasn't leaning hanging off the bike enough and hence the bike had to lean more. Once I started hanging off more, the bike would stay upright more. This way my knees dragged but the foot pegs didn't. Of course, all this after getting a helpful hint from NHfirefighter.
Ironic how I wasn't following my own advice.

That and removing your foot peg feelers. I thought you were going down in turn 13 when I saw you hit those.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts