Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You're making good time, railing the corners at just past the legal limits, no worries...then you get behind..'them'...you know there is nothing but double yellow ahead...even though there are several place you can easily pass safely, but not legally...what do you do? One strikes a victory for you and you never have to see the 'offender' again...the other drives another nail in the coffin for us all...what do you do? No anonymous polls here...WHAT DO YOU DO?

J

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
If it's a road I'm familiar with, and I know there are no good pullouts for 'Chains' to be lurking in ahead, I pass. Let's face it, on a blade it takes a nanosecond. It really depends on whether or not you know the road - if I know a straightaway is near, I will wait.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I'm guilty of the occaisonal pass where legally I'm not allowed too, but normally only if I can see far enough ahead of me so I can see it is safe.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Bacchus : If it's a road I'm familiar with, and I know there are no good pullouts for 'Chains' to be lurking in ahead, I pass.  Let's face it, on a blade it takes a nanosecond.  It really depends on whether or not you know the road - if I know a straightaway is near, I will wait.

Excellent advice methinks.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
If I am riding solo: I'll pass if I know the road or not... If I can see far enough around them to get around them, I am gone... hasta lasagna, don't get any onya

If I am riding with another rider or a group: Its known to do what you want and only what you feel comfortable with, but I will pass on a double yellow given room enough for the following rider. I normally signal to them to let them know I am going now and there is room for them too...

Even crafty ole' beemer riders I know pass on double yellows without giving it a single thought...

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
If there is enough space and I can see far enough ahead, I'll pass. If you indicate and make it sort of sensible, most people will realise that it is a safe pass. the ones that don't are just goody 2 shoed wankers

Response, Bubba?

Z...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I just pass when it is clear, yellow, double yellow, or not. Just make sure you are in a donut free zone. One of our riders past on a double yellow on Angeles Forest Highway and got nabbed by a LEO. Never pass in a patrolled zone, like Angeles Forest Highway near Mt. Emma rd.

·
Registered
276 Posts
bwhip : I give them the finger as I wheelie past...
lol me too but more likely just pass if i can see far enough a head. just because i know the road means sh!t when it comes time to pass on a double solid. Pete could be coming the other way just around the corner

·
Registered
339 Posts
If I know I can make it, I pass, get back in lane and slow back down to a safe speed, in order to have enough time to get down to the speed limit. If the passport blinks or beeps.

·
Registered
682 Posts
While totally illegal in this Province of Cdn if there is simply nothing coming the other direction then at times I hike it on by & get to trotting at a sensible pace & just hope to gosh there is not a cop around or a ghost car in some behind me.
After all if the max speed limit is 80KPH on these easy twisties & someone ahead it clunking along doing 35KPH then it should make sense.
True some are around 70KPH, but really my pace on those is usually well into 120 to 160KPH IF it is a road I am familiar with.

·
Registered
49 Posts
W/ my GF on the back, I wait for the driver to let me pass, all the time listening to her complain about us going slow. Alone, usually I give them a 30 second rule. If they aren't nice enough to move over a foot or two to let me pass nicely, I'll find a safe spot and shoot by them, usually giving a 'TY' wave afterwards.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I always wait for a straight a way, or a corner where I can see, and I walk away from them (not fly by them revving the bike to piss) and give them a friendly wave. If you don't treat them with courtesy, it will come back on you when the phone the cops about motocylists driving like maniacs.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Wait till I can see the 200 yards it's going to take to go around and twist the grip. Like Booth, I try to keep the revs down to not scare the piss out of them.

I have gotten the shakes just watching some of the stupid passes I've seen from other riders...

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
luvtolean : I have gotten the shakes just watching some of the stupid passes I've seen from other riders...
This happened on my ride yesterday.

A friend and I rode in the mtns yesterday. I arrived at our appointed meeting early. He arrived with a GSXR750 rider in tow. The gixer rider was someone who had fallen in with my friend on his way up from Atl on the interstate. This fellow seemed like a nice guy and Franklin (my friend) invited him to ride with us.
 Franklin led on a ZRX1200, I was in the middle on the 954 and the gixer was in the rear. This fellow (don't remember his name, sorry) explained to us that he wasn't yet comfortable riding in the twisties. Franklin replied that he felt that he had done fine on their ride in (a nice section of twisties in addition to the super slab) so I didn't bother to explain riding at your own pace... or any concepts of The Pace. This was a mistake.
 We left Morganton on hwy 60 going south towards Suches (T.W.O.). This is a great road, many sections of twisties broken up by several long straight sections. It's as if the road was laid out with group riding in mind (the straight sections being used as re-group points). Things were going along fine until we encountered some traffic. Franklin would pass, I would wait until I felt it was safe for a pass of my own and then gixer guy would pass. This worked fine until gixer guy decided to follow along with me when I made a pass. He was three car lengths or more behind me and there wasn't enough room for him to make it. I watched the whole thing in the rear view; he had to do the double yellow tightrope walk in-between on coming traffic and the cars he was attempting to pass.
  I no longer waited for gixer guy on the straight stretches.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts