Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fireblade people.

After a few years of riding Italian sports bikes I thought that maybe the time has come to try out a Japanese 4 cylinder and see how I get on with one!

I've seen a nice looking '01 929 and wondered whether this would be a good first choice or whether I should go for something newer?

From what I've read so far then the 954 seems like a great all round bike, maybe less sports focussed than the latest 1,000cc bikes but still a really accomplished bike.

The bike I've seen has custom paint job - not sure what the significance of the colour / #11 is, maybe someone out there has an idea (that's assuming I get the hang of posting pictures!)?

The bike has been off the road for a year or so & only has 9K on the clock. Anything in particular to watch out for because of this?

I have to say I really like the look of this bike so any advice people can give would be really appreciated!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Looks like whoever repainted the bike did a fairly decent job (as best as one can tell from the pictures). It's a pretty tasteful scheme and looks somewhat factory like. I'm not aware of any problems that plague the 929's; I'm more of an 954 kinda guy. I'm sure some 29 owners will chime in with some information for ya...

I think most would agree that there isn't so much of a difference between the 929 and the 954 that you miss the boat if you buy the 929. I think most would say the same thing comparring the 954 to the newer 1000's...unless you are wanting to do some serious track duties; in that case there are enough advantages on the 06 / 07 1000's that you may want to consider one of them over a 954, 929.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Thats a nice looking 929. Thats a great bike. If the price is right u wouldn't be disappointed. The 929 has got everything u would want, and with a few mods which it looks like it has.. There would be plenty of power and the comfort is awsome on the 929.. :twocents:

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Thats a nice looking 929. Thats a great bike. If the price is right u wouldn't be disappointed. The 929 has got everything u would want, and with a few mods which it looks like it has.. There would be plenty of power and the comfort is awsome on the 929.. :twocents:
:plus1: Is it an '01 or '00? It looks like the front rotors are from an '00. The 929's had two recalls...do a search here for more info. Either year, 929's are solid bikes...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:plus1: Is it an '01 or '00? It looks like the front rotors are from an '00. The 929's had two recalls...do a search here for more info. Either year, 929's are solid bikes...
It was first registered on the road in '01 but the UK dealers sometimes hang on to bikes without registering them so this will just mean that it was first sold in '01.

However it's a relatively late '01 registration which would suggest it ought to be a genuine '01 bike. I'll ask & see if I get a response. . . . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing I was worried about was the fact that it's been off the road for a year - is there anything nasty that can happen when this happens?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Either way 00 or 01.. I must say I have had the 01 929 and gave it up for a 02 954.. My 954 has been converted into track bike... The 954 has a more aggressive riding position like my 07 1kRR which in my opinion makes it not a comfortable as the 929.. Hands down the 929 might just be the best bike I have owned as far as rideability and with a few mods will run with my 071KRR or my 954... Otherwise you will love the 929.. You can ride all day in comfort and still have kick a!! power... :thumb: The 929 has it all.. I miss my old 929..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Either way 00 or 01.. I must say I have had the 01 929 and gave it up for a 02 954.. My 954 has been converted into track bike... The 954 has a more aggressive riding position like my 07 1kRR which in my opinion makes it not a comfortable as the 929.. Hands down the 929 might just be the best bike I have owned as far as rideability and with a few mods will run with my 071KRR or my 954... Otherwise you will love the 929.. You can ride all day in comfort and still have kick a!! power... :thumb: The 929 has it all.. I miss my old 929..
Thanks for that, exactly the kind of thing I wanted to find out about. My last two sports bikes were an MV F41000 & a Ducati 999. The MV looked gorgeous but was too "flighty" for me and really not comfortable.

I found the 999 a much better all round bike but, and I know this may sounds like a crazy reason to sell a bike, it just ran too hot for me! I tend to use my sportier bikes to ride to work in the summer, it's an 80 mile round trip and about three quarters of the distance is on good roads for sports bikes. However the final quarter is heavy traffic and the Duke got so damn hot from the underseat exhausts that it was near impossible to put up with. By the time I arrived at work I'd be dripping!

This is one reason why I like the idea of a more "useable" sportsbike. Something I can have genuine fun with at the weekend and that can still get me to work on sunny work days.

Need to swap those rearsets out though, lol!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
:plus1:eek:n the rearsets.... I think u will be very happy with the 929.. The 999 is known for running extremely hot.. "When someone says you’ve got a hot bike, you’d logically think he’s referring to the way it looks. Not necessarily so with the 999. Heat radiating from the exhaust pipes that curl under the seat can roast a rider's upper legs and buns if conditions are right. During a day riding in slow moving traffic I saw 214 degrees on the temperature gauge even though the ambient temperature was in the low 60s." With that being said the 999 is a awsome bike too. If u want "useable" than u have got it in the 929.. Plus u will have similar performance... I believe the 999 rwhp is around 120 and torque is 69lbs.. Similar to the 929, of course there is a different feel V-twin vs liter bike.. Good luck and keep us posted...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have and love, the 929.

It was a bike that was REALLY overshadowed atleast here in Aus by the R1 of the later 90's and the image they project, and when you say 00 - 01 , people say "R1!!!!!!!" , and overlook the better 929. The 00 929 is a truckload better than anything Yamaha made till atleast 04.

But anyways, its a awesome bike, so compitent to take you from traffic light to traffic light, and get you from turn 5 to 6 on your local race track on sunday. They are one of my all time favourite bikes.

If its clean, and in good order, with a good price tag, snap it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts