Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to start this one so I'll just dive in, forgive the randomness of this post.

I've been asked, many, many, times since I picked up riding again, 'So, you're a biker?' My answer is always a resounding, and quick no.

Next, of course is the, 'So, what are you then?' question.

The answer, for me, is simple to say but hard to explain.

I'm a rider.

Why?

Because I ride. It's that simple. Let me explain.

I'm in this because I love to ride. Fast, slow, sometimes on one wheel, in the cold, day, night, whenever. I ride.

Now, how is this different then a biker? Well, as much as I love my Blade, I'm not focused on one bike. A biker is, usually, someone like a Harely guy. He's about the bike. He shines it, works on it, etc. He'd be just as happy spending a nice day washing and polishing his bike. Me? Hell no. I ride it. It can be dirty, scratched up, whatever, I ride.

I don't care if anyone see's me ride because it isn't about anyone else, though group rides are better, they are not mandatory. It's me, the bike and the road.

I don't have anything against bikers. I just don't feel I am one. The bike is a tool, though a nice one, that allows me to ride. The ride, itself, is the goal.

But all of us (bikers, riders, stunters, racers) do fall in the over-all group of Motorcyclists. We all love our machines and keep them in the shape they need to be in. There is a fraternaty, of sorts, there. I don't care what kind of bike the person in the group has, I'll ride with them. Again, the bike is a tool, the ride is important.

What about you? Is it the ride, the bike, what? I don't think any of them are wrong, just different.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
knip : Agree with everything except the group ride being better.

I'd rather ride alone.
Group riding for me is small. Only a few people I trust and have known for a while. Usually it's just me and Jenn. Now that my roommate has a bike, he goes with us when he can.

If I don't trust the people I can't enjoy the ride. I spend to much time wondering if they are going to do something stupid, what their level of experence is and if they're gonna run off on me if I crash, instead of helping.

Small rides, with people I trust...those rock though.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I agree with what you said. But I'd like to consider myself an enthusiast first, rider second I guess if that makes any sense. Like you I enjoy the anonymity very much. I like to ride in groups but it's definitely not necessary. I ride to ride, not to look cool, or be around other people, I ride to ride.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
booth23 : I agree with what you said.  But I'd like to consider myself an enthusiast first, rider second I guess if that makes any sense.  Like you I enjoy the anonymity very much.  I like to ride in groups but it's definitely not necessary.  I ride to ride, not to look cool, or be around other people, I ride to ride.
I totally agree with booth
Bikes are a part of my life, it's not just transport it's my past time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think me and Booth were kind of saying the same thing. I was rambling so I might not have said it the right way.

My thing is the ride, I love bikes, almost all kinds. But riding is the most important part to me. I'm not a Honda guy or a Suzuki guy. Almost all the bikes coming out now are awesome.

Dunno. I agree with Booth, it's all about the ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts