Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so included with my RC was a Soft limiter mod kit. Ive read and heard about it, but what is it? Does it bump the point where the ignition is cut, or does the engine taper off close to red line, or something else?
Im sure Ill have more....
Chris

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
do it, the bike will pull longer on top... 1000rpm or so. I couldn't imagine the bike I had without it.

Without it, power goes flat after about 9000. With it, it pulls really hard all the way to 10200...

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
The U.S. bikes are the only ones with it in the world. The Europe spec don't have it. After disconnecting it, it'll be just like the Blade you just got done with, revs all the way to the hard limiter like it should :thumb:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
More often referred to as "Over Easy" or "Soft knee" limiters, the soft limiter was first developed by Allison Research (Gain Brain), the people that made the first commercially available noisegate (Kepex) for professional audio applications. Allison changed their name in the mid eighties to "Valley People" and have developed some of the more popular VCA units for automated mixdown. DBX jumped on the bandwagon during the same time and pretty much own the market for "Soft Limiters" today . . .

Kepex 500

Dyna-Mite

Kepex II Compressor/Soft Limiter

DBX "Over Easy" Limiter

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
booth23 said:
The U.S. bikes are the only ones with it in the world. The Europe spec don't have it. After disconnecting it, it'll be just like the Blade you just got done with, revs all the way to the hard limiter like it should :thumb:
you're startin to scare the little white wire on my bike. :p

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
abtech said:
More often referred to as "Over Easy" or "Soft knee" limiters, the soft limiter was first developed by Allison Research (Gain Brain), the people that made the first commercially available noisegate (Kepex) for professional audio applications. Allison changed their name in the mid eighties to "Valley People" and have developed some of the more popular VCA units for automated mixdown. DBX jumped on the bandwagon during the same time and pretty much own the market for "Soft Limiters" today . . .

Kepex 500

Dyna-Mite

Kepex II Compressor/Soft Limiter

DBX "Over Easy" Limiter
:huh:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Red Rider said:
That was my "eccentric" way of taking the literal thread title (Re: Soft Limiter - What is it?) and answering a question that no-one asked. The "Soft Limiters" I am referring to are professional audio components that control the dynamic range of the sound going through them. Traditional (pre-mid eighties) equipment used to be very noticeable as they either "squashed" the audio or merely clipped the loud parts. The "soft limiter" as developed by Allison Research (named after the owner's wife), changed the limiting curve to provide manageable dynamic range control, but in a much more "listener friendly" fashion.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
abtech said:
That was my "eccentric" way of taking the literal thread title (Re: Soft Limiter - What is it?) and answering a question that no-one asked. The "Soft Limiters" I am referring to are professional audio components that control the dynamic range of the sound going through them. Traditional (pre-mid eighties) equipment used to be very noticeable as they either "squashed" the audio or merely clipped the loud parts. The "soft limiter" as developed by Allison Research (named after the owner's wife), changed the limiting curve to provide manageable dynamic range control, but in a much more "listener friendly" fashion.
Thanks....for clueing in the clueless! :D

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
FTD..your making me want to do it to my bike....anyone have a step by step with pics? I have a PCIIIr....that makes it easy...right?

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
showmethebombs said:
FTD..your making me want to do it to my bike....anyone have a step by step with pics? I have a PCIIIr....that makes it easy...right?
You don't do anything with the PCIIIr, that was with the 00-01's. On the '02 and above, it's just a splice from one ECU port to another.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
It's on the Rogue site...

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
the thing is...will I notice it....I have read up on it, and some people are saying...no big deal. Or that it appeared to still be on when they ran the dyno! not too sure if I will take the plunge...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts