Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
What cooling problems? My bike never overheats even if I'm stuck in traffic on hot humid days.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The boiling point of water is about 212 degrees F, which makes 200-220 a good operating temperature to get moisture and condensation out of the engine, thus preventing corrosion. Mine runs that on hot days.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
The boiling point of water is about 212 degrees F, which makes 200-220 a good operating temperature to get moisture and condensation out of the engine, thus preventing corrosion. Mine runs that on hot days.
Unfortunately aluminum block high rpm engines make their best power at a much lower temperature (~180 degrees F). The idea that running over those temps gets condensation and moisture out of the engine is somewhat naive and doesn't address the original poster's question.

If you are running a street bike with a standard antifreeze/distilled water mix, corrosion isn't an issue whatsoever.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yup, mine runs at about 180-190 on the highway or the track. In traffic i hit 218 all the time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wen i am riding at hight rpm, not in higwai, but in fast corners at low speed ( 60, 80 , 120 km/h), my bike get too 90 degres and loose some power.
I think that is from the over eating.
I have a Micron slip on and a pc3 usb.

·
Registered
32 Posts
maybe try a diet?
im in phoenix and it always seems my bike is at 200-225f. because its 120f outside and im in traffic. even while on highway during summer the bike will be above 195 usually. winter time the bike is fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
bad joke
'i think that is from the over eating'
just wanted to subscribe to the thread to see if any does have some good cooling solution for hot days.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Switch to Evans,

You can run a 0psi radiator cap (no internal pressure on hoses and seals) and never have to worry about your coolant system again.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Here you go

Evans Cooling Systems Dealer Information

I had to mail order mine from Dallas.
A lot of track orgs won't let you out on the track with that stuff in the bike. For instance, Cornerspeed.net and Fireblades.org days don't allow it. I was going to go that route until I did a bit more research. I ended up going with Water Wetter and water so I coulde get on any track.

Just so you know...

·
Registered
229 Posts
A lot of track orgs won't let you out on the track with that stuff in the bike. For instance, Cornerspeed.net and Fireblades.org days don't allow it. I was going to go that route until I did a bit more research. I ended up going with Water Wetter and water so I coulde get on any track.

Just so you know...
Correct, this is not a mod for a track bike. Evans is an oil based coolant (as a mechanical engineer I am guessing at this without testing, it has the consistancy of hydraulic oil) and is not sanctioned for track events.

I do not track my bike and I never will track my bike. Just because it has been outlawed at racetracks through rule book changes doesn't mean it is an inferior setup or bad for a machine.

This is an excelant modification for street use bikes. I did a write up on this and posted the install in the Fireblade section. It will run at lower temperatures then a 50/50 antifreeze set up with a 0psi radiator cap. It will not freeze or corode your engine from the inside out.

The major benifit that I see besides raising the coolants boiling point to 375 degrees (a temp much higher then anything we will ever see) is that a 0psi cap adds no artificial pressure on your radiator, hoses, seals, and gaskets that is scene with the stock 15psi radiator cap. The only pressure is the water pump circulation, thus extending the service life of all of the components of your coolant system.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Correct, this is not a mod for a track bike. Evans is an oil based coolant (as a mechanical engineer I am guessing at this without testing, it has the consistancy of hydraulic oil) and is not sanctioned for track events.

I do not track my bike and I never will track my bike. Just because it has been outlawed at racetracks through rule book changes doesn't mean it is an inferior setup or bad for a machine.

This is an excelant modification for street use bikes. I did a write up on this and posted the install in the Fireblade section. It will run at lower temperatures then a 50/50 antifreeze set up with a 0psi radiator cap. It will not freeze or corode your engine from the inside out.

The major benifit that I see besides raising the coolants boiling point to 375 degrees (a temp much higher then anything we will ever see) is that a 0psi cap adds no artificial pressure on your radiator, hoses, seals, and gaskets that is scene with the stock 15psi radiator cap. The only pressure is the water pump circulation, thus extending the service life of all of the components of your coolant system.
It wasn't outlawed for track use because of "rule book changes", it is not approved for use because it is extremely slippery and will cause riders to crash if it gets on the track surface.

Radiators and their associated plumbing are usually the first item to break in even a relatively "small" crash on the track. The attrition caused by any type of slippery liquid is usually quite significant for anyone riding through the crash site. It also takes much longer to effectively remove antifreeze (of any type) off the track surface than water or water/water wetter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts