Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Some of Will's numbers are dubious, or at least, misleading, and his own politicking at the end is kinda annoying, but some interesting numbers therein....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
say annual wage growth since 2000 has been 0.6 percent, but the annual increase in real hourly compensation, including benefits -- and if you do not include them, why are they called benefits ? -- has been 1.3 percent.
:huh:

And during the same period the rate of inflation averaged close to 4%, meaning we got a "real" pay decrease of 3% a year. Not to mention many companies have downsized their work force, meaning those left get to work longer hours, for the same salary, to make up.

America is "now outsourcing college-education jobs to India."
We've already done that. All of our IT is now out of Inda ... it looks like "Little India" downstairs as we have several located here for training and working on processes to take back. And don't forget China and Mexico, we are moving engineering and CAD/CAE to those locations. :crap:

·
Registered
846 Posts
:huh:

And during the same period the rate of inflation averaged close to 4%, meaning we got a "real" pay decrease of 3% a year. Not to mention many companies have downsized their work force, meaning those left get to work longer hours, for the same salary, to make up.

We've already done that. All of our IT is now out of Inda ... it looks like "Little India" downstairs as we have several located here for training and working on processes to take back. And don't forget China and Mexico, we are moving engineering and CAD/CAE to those locations. :crap:
I am an engineer for a huge corporation. We now have a HUGE design facility in India with something like 4000 engineers - all with at least BSME's most with MSME's - all working for peanuts. Every year more and more design responsibility goes to them. So far everything they send back is totally and completely f*%(ed so we end up redesigning it anyway, but it's only a matter of time before they get their shit together. I hope to be doing something totally different by then.

Sorry for the off topic rant.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I am an engineer for a huge corporation. We now have a HUGE design facility in India with something like 4000 engineers - all with at least BSME's most with MSME's - all working for peanuts. Every year more and more design responsibility goes to them. So far everything they send back is totally and completely f*%(ed so we end up redesigning it anyway, but it's only a matter of time before they get their shit together. I hope to be doing something totally different by then.

Sorry for the off topic rant.
It isn't confined to India. I have a couple of large machine tool manufacturing clients that are both part of large German corporate structures. Everything that comes in from the Deutchland "engineers" needs to be completely redesigned, re-engineered and rebuilt. Then corporate tags all of the cost overruns to the US subsidiary so their bottom line still looks good.

I would question all of those BSME & MSME credentials, as typically they won't translate into an associate drafting degree in the U.S.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I would question all of those BSME & MSME credentials, as typically they won't translate into an associate drafting degree in the U.S.
Yep, outside a couple of universities in India...it's nowhere close.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I too am suspicious of Will's numbers in his article. And yes, no mention of inflation and no mention of cost of those benefits. I don't know about you all but my medical insurance has risen a good 10% per year out of my pocket.

And I too have seen the results of outsourcing items to foreign, low wage, engineering houses. As others have said. Everything that comes back, when it does come back, is fucked up and has to be reworked. And of course the reworks are done by a skeleton crews here in the states that are underpaid and overworked.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
To those that complain about outsourcing, do you think the government should do something about it? :allears:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
To those that complain about outsourcing, do you think the government should do something about it? :allears:
Good question. The government should definitely pass legislation that benefits this country over others. And benefits the populace over corporations. Trade agreements that give the U.S. the upperhand should
be the norm. Unfortunately too many of these trade deals are made to
benefit those signing the laws and their buddies.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Good question. The government should definitely pass legislation that benefits this country over others. And benefits the populace over corporations. Trade agreements that give the U.S. the upperhand should
be the norm. Unfortunately too many of these trade deals are made to
benefit those signing the laws and their buddies.
I have to say that I agree with this post.
But I don't think that all the focus should be on gov to make it happen.
The government is big enough, the populace needs to bear their share of the responsibility. Support those companies who don't outsource. We all think that cheap goods are great, but is it worth weakening our country's economy?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have to say that I agree with this post.
But I don't think that all the focus should be on gov to make it happen.
The government is big enough, the populace needs to bear their share of the responsibility. Support those companies who don't outsource. We all think that cheap goods are great, but is it worth weakening our country's economy?
It would be nice to be able to support companies that do not outsource or buy products that have deflated prices just to push out the competition. But sometimes you can't. Does your phone company outsourse? Does your city government outsource? Do you buy products for your bike that aren't made in this country and probably in China?

I am not suggesting to increase government only to have government do their job and look out for the American populace first. The thing that really gets me is when people who support outsourcing say it will strengthen the economy and the country down the line. But then they never give an example of how that will happen. What those that support outsourcing are really saying is, "Outsourcing will help corporations which will then help stock earnings. That helps America...right?"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts