Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum, so a quick introduction. Work and live in Shanghai, China for the last 10 years.
Crazy about bikes, both maintaining as well as riding.
Fell in love with V-2's and don't want anything else any more (well......a MV Agusta might change my mind on that).

Small problem, basically bikes over 125 cc are not allowed, although it seems to start opening up a bit.
Still got several big bikes in the garage, used for road and track riding.

After 3 years I just sold my 1996 Fireblade, as well as considering to sell my GSX-R 750 track bike.

From that, I am considering to buy either a second Ducati 998S (I already have a 998S Bayliss Replica) or a 200(?)SP-2.
Buying the second Ducati allows me to have a Duc for the road and a Duc for the track, buying the SP-2 will bring me an other V-2 legend which I never rode so far.

Then now coming to the point:
Is there anyone who can advise on a 998 against a SP-2 in way of riding, (lack of) comfort, reliability issues, track use (short and curved as well as long fast tracks) and do-it-yourself maintenance.

Any kind of experience or any other advise is welcome.

Eric

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own a couple of much older Ducs. I think hte RC maintanance is much less than the Duc. That may or may not be a big deal to you. I learned a long time ago how to adjust Desmo valves. No big deal to me. I think the duc is probably the better track bike stock. I have an 03 SP2 track bike, far from stock. Makes close to 140hp at the rear wheel. the RC can be made into a fine track day bike. I'd think the RC would be less money also. Mine has lots of motor work, suspension work...I have about $6k into it. I don't know that you could buy and then get sorted a 998 for that. Your market may be different than what is here in hte NW USA.

·
Registered
467 Posts
agreed...the 998 is more of a track weapon stock than the SP-2 (2002 and up). The 998 has more up keep than the SP-2. The SP-2 is probably a better road bike over the 998 since it is heavier and can handle road bumps a bit better.

I would say get the SP-2 to have a different bike to pick from...but either one is a great bike to ride.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I own a couple of much older Ducs. I think hte RC maintanance is much less than the Duc. That may or may not be a big deal to you. I learned a long time ago how to adjust Desmo valves. No big deal to me. I think the duc is probably the better track bike stock. I have an 03 SP2 track bike, far from stock. Makes close to 140hp at the rear wheel. the RC can be made into a fine track day bike. I'd think the RC would be less money also. Mine has lots of motor work, suspension work...I have about $6k into it. I don't know that you could buy and then get sorted a 998 for that. Your market may be different than what is here in hte NW USA.
Thanks for the clear reply! I do the maintanance of my Duc myself, so that not a problem.
I was amazed how my 1996 Fireblade looked like after 12 years of Chinese abuse (and probably not much maintanance at all during those years), if that stands for the quality of a SP as well ,then I dont worry.
Does the SP-2 have particular technical weaknesses (like fireblades burn regulators)?

Prices here are a mess, and not really related to a general market. Still a SP-2 is indeed cheaper then a 998, and the risk of bying a Duc is of course bigger as there is never any history.

agreed...the 998 is more of a track weapon stock than the SP-2 (2002 and up). The 998 has more up keep than the SP-2. The SP-2 is probably a better road bike over the 998 since it is heavier and can handle road bumps a bit better.

I would say get the SP-2 to have a different bike to pick from...but either one is a great bike to ride.
Can not agree more, and that the problem :rolleyes:.
Buying an other 998 gives me some room in changebility if needed (we always need to buy original spares overseas, and fly them in). That more of the rational part.
Buying the SP-2 will give me a bike I want for a long time, and a new experience, that's called emotion, right :eyebrows:?

Still I don't complain, I know how fortunate I am having such problems ...

·
Registered
656 Posts
If you glance through the forum you will easily identify common problems that keep reappearing as new to each owner. It is hard for any of us to summarize everything that has been on the forum. Almost all bikes have some technical glitches that take years to be resolved as permanent solutions by trial and error of forum members.
There has been much talk about heat without it really being a problem but reading the temp display causes discomfort to many of us. Manual fan switches, reversed fans, thermostatic switches with lower trigger point etc.
There have been numerous failures of FI pressure regulator valves causing hard starts and poor running, so order one of those ahead of time once you buy the bike. There have been reports of chafe on wires shorting somewhere close to the frame where it is next to impossible to locate due to vibration. Apart from these that I can think of the bikes are pretty bulletproof and most believe of higher quality than your average Honda sportsbike. So that should leave your Ducati locked in the garage for ages.
Valve adjustments seem to rarely be necesary. Most have reported that were found within spec after the recommended checks. Yoy may want to buy alternative sprocket ratios and a new chain ahead if the bike you find has stock gearing 16/40 Most go for 15/41 or 15/43 and if I am right about how streets are there you most likely going to find it necessary.
Good luck and read some more through the forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Buying the SP-2 will give me a bike I want for a long time, and a new experience, that's called emotion, right :eyebrows:?

Still I don't complain, I know how fortunate I am having such problems ...

You've hit it on the head. You want one...
I had an 06 50th Anniv R1. The bike was a rocketship. I put about 16k miles on it. I also have a DRZ470 Motard. The R1 became boring. Sold it and bought my RC because it has charactor. I have a thing for big noisy rorty motorcycles. My RC fills that nitch.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You've hit it on the head. You want one...
I had an 06 50th Anniv R1. The bike was a rocketship. I put about 16k miles on it. I also have a DRZ470 Motard. The R1 became boring. Sold it and bought my RC because it has charactor. I have a thing for big noisy rorty motorcycles. My RC fills that nitch.

:plus1: :thumb:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:plus1: :thumb:
Yeah, I know. It is those V-2's right?

I remember before I bought my Duc, I had an other ride on a MV Agusta F4.
Although a dead gorgeous bike and on my list for a long time, it soooo disappointed against the shear bottom power the Duc had.
Sure that bike has it all for the track, but nothing can replace that V-2 power, and the way it is delivered.
I am sure the SP-2 will bring the same smile on my face as a Ducati.

Right now I am still nego. on the bikes, and waiting more detailed pictures.
Keep you posted!

·
Registered
467 Posts
if you get the SP-2, you can have the 2002 Bayliss/Edwards battle evey day in your garage (spoiler alert...the SP-2 will win!!!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love my Duc. I have a 77 900ss. Bought it new. Will absolutely never sell it. But it's not for the track. The RC is. They are two different things but kinda the same. I love them both.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing remaining on my mind (all other things mentioned by you guys dont really worry me, or are familiar to Ducati issues) is how bad the fuelling thing is.

I always read about the SP-1 being bad, and the SP-2 being a bit better, but still bad enough to mention in every single test.

Is it really so bad, or is just not as good as on other Honda bikes? If the same issue happened on let say a Ducati, would it be mentioned at all?
Should I not buy a SP-1 for this reason if one should be for sale?

And: Is it solvable by adding a Power Commander, new maps, or anything else?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just put a power commander on it and get it mapped or download one and its sweet, in fact its sweeter than my 08 990 ADV fueling wise. Mine is the SP1 so supposedly the woooorser one for fueling.:)

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think you nailed it, all V2 engines seem to be fuel thirsty when compared to inline or 4s, yet I believe the Rc is better than most Ducatis 996-999s when tuned right. Mileage is sensitive to wrist flexibility too, when trying to just cover distances if you just keep it steady it rewards you, where my L4 doesn't make much of a difference whether I'm coasting with traffic or squeezing it to punch holes in the atmosphere.
The RC has 10.8:1 compression versus 12-12:8 for the Ducatis. Yet it still made comparable hp but I'd rather have the longevity of a lower compression engine than the headaches of a high one.

If you are after a collectors' value bike I'd go for an SP1, if you like to alter and modify the bike to be fun riding it, I'd definetely go for the SP2. It is a much better bike in every little detail that was changed from 01 to 02.
The engine is a gem, the SP2 just breathes better, and the lightened and strengthened parts make it seem like a race prepared SP1. The big differences are the swingarm being longer (less prone to wheelies), caster is sharper but still lazy solid steering,

There have been some fork/shock valving changes through the SP2 years but other than color variations there isn't any difference.

Is it really so bad, or is just not as good as on other Honda bikes? If the same issue happened on let say a Ducati, would it be mentioned at all?
Should I not buy a SP-1 for this reason if one should be for sale?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, it took a bit of time, but I have decided. Bought an other Ducati 998S and passed on the SP-2 this time.

Reason was the pricing of both bikes, and the practical advantage of having a second bike for urgent "cannibalism" if needed (we don't have dealers here and everything needs to be flown in).

Still I know that if the financial situation allows, there will be an SP-2 added to the
stable ...

Would like to thank everyone who shared the info I was looking for with me!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
congrats ericj

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
.......Still I know that if the financial situation allows, there will be an SP-2 added to the stable .....
Well, it has been a while, and I have restored and rebuilt the 998S from a difficult running and very sad looking bike into a fresh looking track and road baby.

But, as always, winter is coming, and the itch is back. I happen to run into the very SP-2 I looked at 2 years ago.
Now is a much worse shape, but with some work I guess I can bring her back to new.

However, in very hard price nego, and it all will depend on the cost of the bike, plus the replacement parts.

Is there anyone who can give me some rough cost figures for the following parts (OEM or good quality after market):
Air filter
New fairing (OEM - I guess I will aftermarket though)
Brake rotor front
Brake rotor rear
Brake pads front
Brake pads rear
Much much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
that's a tough choice you had to make. I love both bikes. I probably would have gone for the RC51 though. That's what I'll be adding with my 954 next. Then look at the ducs. Your track bike looks good though, any before pics?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 62 Posts