Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in terms of the rear wheel, I know that it is common to swap the 929's rear wheel out for a later model fireblade, but with some searching I haven't found much specific information..
I've just recently learned that the RC51 (SP2) rear wheel also fits the rear swingarm of the 929 or 954, and I know the rear wheel's weight is very important in terms of rotational mass and accelleration..
So, what are the weights of the 929's rear wheel as compared to the 04+ 1000RR's wheel and compared to the SP2 rear wheel?
Also, will a SP2 or 1000RR front wheel fit the 929? If so, what is needed - the spacers from the donor bike for the wheel? The rotor?

Thanks guys
-Ryan

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
So in terms of the rear wheel, I know that it is common to swap the 929's rear wheel out for a later model fireblade, but with some searching I haven't found much specific information..
I've just recently learned that the RC51 (SP2) rear wheel also fits the rear swingarm of the 929 or 954, and I know the rear wheel's weight is very important in terms of rotational mass and accelleration..
So, what are the weights of the 929's rear wheel as compared to the 04+ 1000RR's wheel and compared to the SP2 rear wheel?
Also, will a SP2 or 1000RR front wheel fit the 929? If so, what is needed - the spacers from the donor bike for the wheel? The rotor?

Thanks guys
-Ryan
No idea on SP2 wheels but I doubt they're light. Somebody did post the weights some time back but I don't recall.
The 1000RR wheels are slightly lighter than 954 wheels and those are a couple of hundred grams lighter than 929 wheels.
No idea about SP wheels but the 1000RR wheels up to at least '07 both bolt straight into the 929/954. I run '06 wheels on my 929.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you ever not on this forum bladeracer? haha :nworthy2:
Well, the SP2 wheel is gorgeous, but perhaps it is not significantly lighter than the 929's... I'm going to dig around to try and find out

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I have anther question, I don't want to clutter up the forum with multiple threads so hopefully someone notices this down here...

The 1000RR swing arm, at a glance, looks just like the 954 swing arm to me. Is it in fact the same? Can one be put on the 929? If so, does it require the same items as the 954 swing arm, namely just the bottom bracket for the shock and the rear brake caliper bracket?

Thanks
-Ryan

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Are you ever not on this forum bladeracer? haha :nworthy2:
Well, the SP2 wheel is gorgeous, but perhaps it is not significantly lighter than the 929's... I'm going to dig around to try and find out

I buzz in and out throughout the day so it just looks like I live in here :)
The thread where the guy posted the weight was something about wheel swaps and he'd gone with an RC51 wheel.
I can't see anything gorgeous about the wheels though, wheels are just wheels :)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
OK I have anther question, I don't want to clutter up the forum with multiple threads so hopefully someone notices this down here...

The 1000RR swing arm, at a glance, looks just like the 954 swing arm to me. Is it in fact the same? Can one be put on the 929? If so, does it require the same items as the 954 swing arm, namely just the bottom bracket for the shock and the rear brake caliper bracket?

Thanks
-Ryan

I bought an '06 swingarm to try fitting to my 929 because I wanted to try the suspension setup where the shock mounts only to the swingarm and not to the frame. But the swingarm is far too heavy to be worth trying.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right on, thanks for the replies.

Wel, it seems to me that the most effective change is going to be a 1000RR rear wheel, to drop the rotational mass. The 954 swingarm sounds like a more marginal gain, though it does look nice.
I'm trying to get a solid line on a 1KRR rear wheel, so again, two more questions:
Will my existing 929 brake rotor and sprocket bolt to the 1k's wheel?
And, do I need the spacers for that wheel or just the wheel itself and all the 929 stuff and spacers work on it?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Right on, thanks for the replies.

Wel, it seems to me that the most effective change is going to be a 1000RR rear wheel, to drop the rotational mass. The 954 swingarm sounds like a more marginal gain, though it does look nice.
I'm trying to get a solid line on a 1KRR rear wheel, so again, two more questions:
Will my existing 929 brake rotor and sprocket bolt to the 1k's wheel?
And, do I need the spacers for that wheel or just the wheel itself and all the 929 stuff and spacers work on it?
The 929/954/1000RR discs and sprockets are identical pattern.
Get the wheel with the sprocket carrier as the centre bearing is different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts