1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Saw that this AM as well. The part that baffles me is knowing that they had to have spent more than $10 million on developing something like that. I'm thinking that prize might cover 1/2 their expenses...if that.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Yep yep. Watched it live on CNBC. History in the making.

Let's see them pull it off again within the next few days :clap:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
ND4SPD said:
I'm thinking that prize might cover 1/2 their expenses...if that.
I joked about that, too, but there's a potentially huge commercial payoff. The $10M will help offset some R&D cost.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
It's not about the $10M. It's about making it into the books. I remember reading somewhere that the costs for this vehicle were in the $30-$50M range, still waaaaaaaaay cheaper than anything the world's governments have been ponying up. Isn't the average Space Shuttle mission (single flight) over $1.1B? Sheeeit...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I watched it and it just blew my mind thinking about the implications of this flight. Add to that the fact that I was able to watch it live, via the internet, with live video from Spaceship One no less. I think I have a better understanding of how people felt in '69 w/the moon landings.

Seeing that thing spin out of control though was nuts - I was so nervous. I guess they cut the engines about 10 seconds sooner then they planned on doing because of the rolling. We think racers have a pair, but the 64 yr old pilot of this craft is in a whole different class.

Did you hear the speech afterwards? They were calling for 50 flights a day, F1 racing in space! (And for the same cost!!) Don't underestimate this accomplishment!!! Western civilization has entered a new chapter.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yeah, my work clears out on days like this a heads out to the desert. See we build rocket engines for the shuttles, delta vehicles, etc.... This could either be the best thing that has happened to our industry or the worst.

I see it as a truly amazing accomplishment. It really is a new world and when they launch again in two weeks, nothing will be the same for space travelers.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
i was just reading this on yahoo.
now that it has been done, what is the expectation of the public in the future. when will it be cheap enough to actually use?

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
bubba said:
i was just reading this on yahoo.
now that it has been done, what is the expectation of the public in the future. when will it be cheap enough to actually use?
I expect the public to maintain a status quo and retain their publicity. It will likely be cheap enough for you and I, or well ok you and Donald Trump to use within the next 7years. I think that Virgin guy is saying 2008? :huh:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
SomeStrangeGuy said:
I expect the public to maintain a status quo and retain their publicity. It will likely be cheap enough for you and I, or well ok you and Donald Trump to use within the next 7years. I think that Virgin guy is saying 2008? :huh:
some guy is a virgin? :smilebig:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
phozed said:
Seeing that thing spin out of control though was nuts - I was so nervous. I guess they cut the engines about 10 seconds sooner then they planned on doing because of the rolling. We think racers have a pair, but the 64 yr old pilot of this craft is in a whole different class.
I had a question about that for you "rocket science" types about that....

How did he nullify that roll?

Does "SpaceshipOne" have auxillary thrusters, or is there still enough atmosphere at that height to allow the control surfaces to operate... :idunno:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, it has auxilliary thrusters and a movable tail boom.

As it sounds like you suspected, loss of aerodynamic control due to altitude was the reason it went into the roll event. Because of this it was more like space rotation without feeding excessive loads into the airframe.

They made a point of saying the systems worked perfectly too.

My poor GF had to listen to me yammer on about this implications of this flight last night. :rotfl: I think this is truly revolutionary. Branson is saying $200k will be the price to go. Hell, that's not even the über rich, just the well off who decide they really want to go!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
luvtolean said:
Yeah, it has auxilliary thrusters and a movable tail boom.

As it sounds like you suspected, loss of aerodynamic control due to altitude was the reason it went into the roll event. Because of this it was more like space rotation without feeding excessive loads into the airframe.

They made a point of saying the systems worked perfectly too.

My poor GF had to listen to me yammer on about this implications of this flight last night. :rotfl: I think this is truly revolutionary. Branson is saying $200k will be the price to go. Hell, that's not even the über rich, just the well off who decide they really want to go!
Thanks.... :thumb:
I used to follow the Rutan projects, but haven't kept up with this one for some reason... :confused:

Need to do some reading.... :smilebig:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discovery had a great program on about the whole design and test flight program developed. It was really good and inspirational. Most of the engineers are young guys and Rutan is one hell of a smart guy. If they show it again, it is called "Dark Sky". It is one not to miss if you are interested in these types of things.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I have major respect for Mr. Rutan, but his comments in this article had me shaking my head a little bit. Either he is being massively paraphrased by a hungry journo, or he is suffering from delusions of grandeur.... :crap:

Full Story
SpaceShipOne Guru: NASA Needs a Visionary

Sun Oct 24, 4:02 PM ET Science - AP

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - Burt Rutan, an aviator whose SpaceShipOne won the $10 million Ansari X-Prize for making three suborbital space flights, said NASA (news - web sites) needs another Wernher von Braun — and chided the space agency for what he called a failed space shuttle program.

On a weekend tour of historic space-program sites, Rutan said the German rocket scientist was a visionary. "We don't have anybody like him today, and that's why we aren't" going forward in space flight, he said.

In Huntsville, Rutan met with Ernst Stuhlinger and Konrad Dannenberg, both members of von Braun's Huntsville-based German rocket team, and viewed some of von Braun's research papers. A 1949 book of von Braun's titled "The Trip to Mars" interested him.

"There it was in print, how to get to Mars. There was the blueprint to accomplish that goal and it was written in 1949," Rutan said.

Rutan showed a film Friday night on SpaceShipOne's development and flight to an audience of 250 people in the U.S. Space & Rocket Center's IMAX theater.

At a press conference, Rutan chided NASA for problems with the shuttle program.

"NASA basically failed with the space shuttle program in the late 1970s before the first launch because it couldn't deliver on the low cost to orbit promise, and it can't deliver on the safety," he said.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts