Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i really would need some help on this. I have a 2000 cbr 600f4 that needs the head to be tapped for a spark plug to fit again.... i wanna go either helicoil or time sert but i’m curious and confused on how to get the tap inside the spark plug hole with enough sticking out to turn with a ratchet. I don’t want to take the heads off to be honest i don’t have the tools for that. i’m sure grease will work fine pulling the chips out and then i can vacuum out the rest. Any help with this will go a long ways thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
The only good way to do it I'm afraid is with the head off, stuffing anything into the cylinder and pulling it out just doesn't work even with the tap loaded with grease doesn't work , I tried all that years ago and ended up with a sump full of bits,try it by all means but you will have to take the sump off and clean it and the strainer, and hope anything left will get blown out with the exhaust ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I did a timesert on my 929 about 5 years ago, repair went pretty smooth still holding up. I was able to sell the kit afterwards and recover most of the cost. I think I was only out 70USD after all was said and done. I did the work myself I had to pull the engine though. If you search my profile posts you can find a thread about it. on the 929 it's a little easier to get access to the engine because you essentially remove the frame and subframe as a whole and lift everything off the engine. in your case you'll have to drop the engine which will require draining the coolant and a few of other things. I was lucky I did not get shavings in the cylinder but if you do get shavings in there it's not much more work to pull the head.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Found it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts