Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who plays and whatcha got?  What style are you into?  I basicaly am a beginer and suck.  My guitars are a 1988 Fender American Standard Stratocaster and a 2001 Gibson Epiphone Limited edition Les Paul Standard.  

Mike

·
Registered
469 Posts
I too am a horrible beginner.  My wife bought me a Deluxe Fat Strat for christmas a year and a half ago.  I can't get a picture right now so I stole this one from Musician's Friend.

PS -- I love your American Strat.  My wife couldn't quite spring for the American. (insert jealous icon here)

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweetonion : I too am a horrible beginner.  My wife bought me a Deluxe Fat Strat for christmas a year and a half ago.  I can't get a picture right now so I stole this one from Musician's Friend.

PS -- I love your American Strat.  My wife couldn't quite spring for the American. (insert jealous icon here)
Thanks, I just bought it after looking for several years for this particular model. In 1989 I bought almost the same guitar (had a maple fretboard) for $400, and like a fool sold it about 6 years in a fit of stupidity. Regretted it the next day. I finaly ran across this one in the Recycler a few weeks ago and got it for $525 with a hard case and even the original paperwork.

·
Registered
276 Posts
2000 Martin D-42, 1964 Gibson J-50, 1939 Kay 000 style, 1984 American Telecaster, late '60's or early '70's Twin Reverb, Carvin Koa 5-string bass, SWR Silverado combo amp, 1950 Kay upright bass, 1899 SS Stewart '20th Century' 5 string banjer....

I play bluegrass, oldtime, some jazz, and whatever I fuse together just sittin' around playing.

BW

·
Registered
700 Posts
I've been playing for about 15 years (off and on).  I haven't played much lately, since I have gotten in a rut and tend to play the same songs over and over... just not progressing at all.

Anyhow, I've got a couple of acoustics.  A Yamaha SJ180 that I bought at a pawn shop in college (the beater) and a Takamine that sounds oh-so-sweet with a good set of Elixir strings

I'd like to get back into it, but it gets kind of dull playing solo.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I'm right there w/ BizJetGuy. I have been playing about 12 years (I should be a lot better than I am, but never took it seriously) and have not played much lately b/c I am a bit bored w/ it. Play the same stuff over and over and don't have much motivation to learn new stuff as I have no one to jam with.

Guitars:

Fender American Lone Star Strat - bought about 4 years ago
Fender American Telecaster - early 80's and SWEET!
Fender MusicMaster -early 50's sounds like crap but old
Ibanez Elec/Acoutstic -I used to really like it, but it doesn't sound as good as it used to. I think it didn't age well or something. I too alway play Elixer strings. None better.

Amp:
Fender RocPro 100 Combo

PreAmp/Processor: SGX2000 Express - Great for practicing.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I've played since 1970, passed on a lot of my equipment to my kids, 2 of whom play regularly-

Left on the wall--- Mark Knofler - era Schechter strat w/ birdseye maple neck and wiring mods-

Custom (Budzinsky) thinline telecaster in Mahogany with maple neck / ebony fretboard, strat peghead and Joe Barden Pickups

Late 70's Rickenbacker 360-12 in natural maple

Guild D-35 acoustic from 1980 with Baggs pickup and Gold Grovers
Guild F- body acoustic 12 string.

I think that's all. Peavy 50 watt tube amp w/ 2 celestion 12's

My damn hands hurt too much to play very long anymore. I'm thinking of having the carpal tunnel operation this winter.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice selection of guitars guys!! Now tell us who your into and what guitar players have influenced you?

I saw Joe Satriani recently and the guy was unbelievable!! I also like Vai and John Petrucci.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Stevie Ray Vaughan has by far been my biggest influence. Amazing. He really had something special. Some people just have that something different, some 'gift' that even if I took lessons and practiced for years and years and years I would never have. A sort of 'mad scientist' type of talent or perspective. SRV had that like no one else. Buy a DVD of him in concert, for example the Austin City Limits shows. I can't say enough. Then if you think about how he died in a helo crash shortly after cleaning up and really had a new lease on life and was on a mission to spread a message of peace and love...it is heartbreaking. I hate the fact that I didn't discover him until after he died. Probably wouldn't have mattered as he died when I was 12.

Other favorrite guitarist is from a band called Dada. His name is Michael Gurly and he is awesome. Also influenced by SRV, he has that 'extra something'.

Duane Allman. I can't play any slide, but Live at the Fillmore East should be in everyone's collection.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I really like Kenny Wayne Shepard. You know 'next SRV' they say. Joe Satriani of course. And I also like Yngve Malmstein, not sure of spelling and I'm not going to go hunt down the cd. As well as Gary Hoey who used to play for Heavy Bones.

I saw a cover band in Monatana once called 'Sleepin' Geenie' and their lead was unbelievable. By far the most talented guitarist I've ever seen play in a bar. Someone requested a guitar song so they covered Satriani's Sleeping with the Alien, and I mean it was perfect. I could have listened to them all night.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
The thing I don't like about KWS is that he doesn't seem to have his own voice. He has spent all his life trying to be the next SRV, that he sounds a lot like SRV w/o the 'something extra' that I mentioned above. He is a good player, no doubt, but not amazing. Plus, SRV had a great singing voice, and KWS doesn't sing at all.

my .02

·
Registered
700 Posts
I've always liked Mark Knopfler's sound, but I can't finger pick for chit.  Chet Atkins is great, too.  I find myself playing a lot of old REM tunes, so I guess thats an influence.  Some of the younger guys are unbelievable like Sean Watkins from Nickel Creek... I HIGHLY recommend his solo CD 'Let it Fall'.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Have some cheap model Yamaha accoustic guitar sitting at home.

Eric Clapton is my influence, pretty much self taught. For a little while, I could play whatever I heard on the radio, as long as it wasn't too intricate, but now, I can't even remember cords.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Nickel Creek, huh? I'll check them out.

I was lucky enough to grow up when guitars were becoming popular, and remember specific moments when I heard a new guitar voice and thrilled to it.

Roger McGuinn / Byrds and George Harrison from ...what was the name of that band? ( thus the rickenbacker 12 string..)

Eric, Buddy guy, Jimi, SRV, Mark Knofler -( strat)

Carlos Santana, Duane Allman ( Gave the Les Paul to my daughter)

James Jamerson (Gave the P-bass to my son)

I sold a beautiful ES-335 to get the schechter, because I was in a band with a guy who had a darker-sounding Les Paul and I needed to cut through the mix.. NEVER sell a good guitar. I kick myself in the ass to this day.

I have the thinline tele because it can sound like almost anything, it's stage simple and quiet for recording. And a good friend made it when he started his guitar repair business. To the extent that I have my own voice, it's with that guitar. I had the neck made to exactly the dimensions of the strat neck. It was like an old friend on the first day. And it's double bound with pearloid 'mother of toilet seat' !!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
My wife and kids all play. We picked up a hodge podge quitar from my youngest's instructor for $100, and boy does it sound great. Custom EBC pickups (requires 9 volt battery), genuine Floyd Rose Bridge, custom maple neck. I am hoping my son will learn to play Back N Black from AC/DC. That song rocks.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Heavy-Dee : Yea, I like Nickel Creek.  Really good musicians, all of them.
The solo stuff is even better.  Sean Watkins' (guitar) solo CD is better than any Nickel Creek collection and Chris Thile (mandolin) has a solo CD that's most amazing, also.

You guys might just inspire me to clean the dust off the 'ole twangbox

1 - 20 of 22 Posts