Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my '03 Blade is at its 16k.. As per a previous post regarding it sputtering, I am in the process of testing this as well (i am leaning towards a bad map or bad pc3r, but figured the timing was perfect to do the 16k maint as well)

I have the plugs/coils out, plugs look overgapped, so i have a box of brand new NGK iridiums sitting on my desk. Want to do the valve clearance check myself as well, and read up on this thread for a general idea:

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/articles-fireblade/11217-inspecting-valve-clearance-929-a.html?highlight=valve+clearance

Now, the manual states to lock the cam chain tensioner in the full position with a "Cam Chain Tensioner Holder".. my Q is.. is that 100% necessary?

As I read, thats the only "specialty" tool that was needed.. are there any others if you actually get into having to get new shims?

Any help would be appreciated, thx

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
You only need the tool (or something that will work in it's place) if you are going to pull the cams and actually change shims.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CBRBob said:
You only need the tool (or something that will work in it's place) if you are going to pull the cams and actually change shims.
Ok cool.. well all mine were within tolerences so it wasnt an issue..

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Then if you were actually going to pull the cams, get a manual tensioner from A.P.E..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts