Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From RRW....

Honda CBR1000RR Superbike Produces Close To 215 Horsepower

Copyright 2003, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

The American Honda CBR1000RR Superbike which was clocked at 192 mph during the recent three-day Dunlop tire test at Daytona International Speedway produces approximately 215 rear-wheel horsepower.

The figure was determined by one paddock insider who calculated the approximate power output of the Honda based on the known power output and radar speed at Daytona of the Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R1000.

The horsepower number is approximate due to the unknown coefficient of drag and the unknown amount of rear tire slip of the Honda compared to the Suzuki.

When asked about the 215 horsepower figure of the CBR1000RR, a source inside the American Honda team said the bike had not been on a dyno but the figure “sounds about right.”[/size][/font]

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
To answer the "speculation or fact?" question: it's speculation. Perhaps more accurately, it's an educated guess. But the fact that the Honda tech didn't dismiss the figure is interesting. Either they're trying to intimidate the competition, or it's pretty much on the money.

215 RWHP is impressive! If all the talk about "roll center" and "mass centralization" pans out, I think we'll see some Honda riders on Superbike podiums this year! The RR might turn out to be the best racebike of the bunch! (We can hope, anyway!)

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
TAZ said:
215 RWHP is impressive! If all the talk about "roll center" and "mass centralization" pans out, I think we'll see some Honda riders on Superbike podiums this year! The RR might turn out to be the best racebike of the bunch! (We can hope, anyway!)
:rotfl: You're saying it like it hasn't happened in the past.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Speculation or fact.....or both?

Since they have a trap speed, there are not very many variables here.

Weight
Rolling friction
*Assuming the trap speed was made on regular tires, then these can be effectively ruled out due to minimal effect on top speed.

That leaves Baro, Cd & HP.....

It becomes your choice of speculation then.....they either made gains with the Cd or HP......or a bit of both.

*Hmmm....what did I leave out?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
ND4SPD said:
:rotfl: You're saying it like it hasn't happened in the past.
Get off the floor, foo!
Really - what gave you the impression that I'm ignoring it's happened? I said no such thing. Honda often rules motorcycle road racing. The RC51 dominated just a couple of years ago. In the 80's, the V4 Interceptors ruled the roost for a while. Things change every year. That RC51 was great for a couple of years, but it's been surpassed and will be replaced by something better. We're talking about the 2004 racing season, not 2001. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts