Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for shits and giggles, does anyone know how far off the speedo is -1 on the front sproket? :huh:
I know they are optimistic in stock form and get worse as you change final gearing ratios, but thats about it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
From everything I've heard, the speedometer is about 4-5% optimistic with stock gearing. Going down one tooth will, I believe, make the speedo read about 11% too fast. Don't quote me on this, though. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
well, based on the smart equation I've just learned from "speedohealer" (a speedometer correction box similar to the yellow box sold by calsportbikes), assuming a 5% stock error (which may or may not be accurate) and a partially worn tire (halfway between new and toast), you're looking at about a 13% error. It's the same as going up 3 (or is it 2?) teeth in the rear.

I once heard that because of a timing aspect in the engine, it was unwise to go down on the front, better to go up on the rear. Is this true? Does it also apply to the 954?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
redcliffs said:
I once heard that because of a timing aspect in the engine, it was unwise to go down on the front, better to go up on the rear. Is this true? Does it also apply to the 954?
Thats news to me. :idunno:
Thanks for the input, tho

·
Registered
121 Posts
Voodoo954 said:
Thats news to me. :idunno:
Thanks for the input, tho
It was news to me too -- as is probably obvious since I can't explain it! :rotfl: but it's worth doing more research on, I would think, just to be sure.

fwiw, I've also heard that going up in the rear as opposed to down in the front will help prolong chain life.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You can probably work it out yourself using something like the below which I stubled across at the Melbourne Motorshow.

Apart from having warnings of accident blackspots and stationary speed cameras it gives an accurate readout of speed using GPS satellites.

but its a pretty pricy speedo

link

1 - 8 of 8 Posts